Friday, July 24, 2020

Can You Wait?

Our fish truck actually came into the store rather early today.
Which was impressive.
As the past little bit (beyond last week where it was a full day late) the trucks have been showing up in the late afternoon. Anytime between 3pm and like 7pm.

So I was rather happy that it was in the store before noon. 
As it meant that I would have fish to sell people today.
But also it would give me something to do.
As Fridays at work I don't usually have much to do opening wise because we don't have any bedding changes and we're still really low on animals.

Granted, due to my migraine yesterday, I still had a bunch of Thursday's tasks that I needed to complete and had been planning to work on those while waiting for the fish truck to show up.
But with the fish shipment here actually on time.

It ended up taking precedence once I was done with the opening tasks.

And it was probably a good thing that the fish came early.
As even when I was trying to unbox all the fish and put the bags out into the tanks.
I had customers asking me if I had certain fish in stock.

And it was either a "Yes they're in this tank here."
Or a "Maybe? We might have some in our fish shipment....but i haven't got to those boxes yet." 

And like there were some impatient people where they were like "Don't you know what's in the boxes? Don't you have an invoice saying all the fish?!"

Which yes.
I do.
But the manager had neglected to give it to me and I wasn't going to go spend ten minutes hunting it down so you'd know whether or not certain fish were in the shipment because the customer would still have to wait around for me to find the box with the said fish in it.
As the invoice wouldn't tell me which fish were in which box only that they would be in the shipment.

So I said it wasn't available and told them if they came back in half an hour to an hour.
I should have all the fish out onto the floor.

-If customers didn't decide they needed to be needy at least.

Because I can only move so quickly with unboxing the fish when I'm the only one in the department, it's a big fish shipment, and customers decide that they need help.

Thankfully.

I got it done pretty quickly.
Still not within that half hour mark.

But within an hour and a halfish.

And it's just like interesting to see how patient or impatient people can be.

I had multiple customers forgo waiting for the fish to come out and just pick fish that were already on the wall.
I had some hover nearby for a while while they were waiting for me to finish so they could see 'all the fish'.
And I had others who saw me in the middle of unboxing fish and decided to leave and then come back later to get the fish they wanted.

It's like the marshmallow test all over again.
Just to see which people are willing to wait for the potential reward.
And how many aren't and want fish now.

At least the fish came in good this week.
Well mostly good.
I had less dead this week compared to last.
So I actually had more fish to offer.

Though I didn't actually get to my Thursday Tasks just with how the day went.
So I suppose I'll have something to do to keep me busy tomorrow during that shift.
Since Saturday's are more customer focused days and less task oriented days.

Until you next see these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment