Sunday, July 19, 2020

Stargazing

My family and I went up the mountain tonight to stargaze.
More specifically it was to go look and see if we could see the Comet NEOWISE as my brother had found it earlier in the week and it had reignited his dormant astronomy passion to the point where he resurrected the old telescope he and Dad built back when brother was in Elementary School so that we could have a clearer view of the comet than what we could see with the naked eye.

Which was a great idea.
Because from the pictures I'd seen online, I was expecting the comet to be this bright light in the sky that would be easily visible and easy to pick out.

Ha.
Not so much.

I mean, it probably does appear brighter in places with less light pollution and such.

But with the naked eye the comet kinda just looked like this glowy smudge. A haze in the sky that could possibly be a star...but at the same time not.

It was crazy how different it looked than what I expected.
And I'm grateful that brother had the telescope and the skills to find it in the night sky. 
Because it definitely was cool to see it in a 'close up' view rather than just trying to find it in binoculars or just with the naked eye.

It's been a while since I've been 'high' up on the mountains.
I don't think I've been so high since our last vacation with Mother Dearest. 
So that was kinda bitter sweet to see a similar view that I saw while we were staying up in that condo in the mountains.

But the comet itself?
Totally cool!
I'm glad the family and I were able to gather together to see it. :D

Until you next see these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment