Thursday, July 23, 2020

Small Irritations

I know I shouldn't let things get to me.
Especially when they're small things that I really don't have any control over.
And while they're frustrating things....
I really shouldn't let them get under my skin.

And yet that's kinda what happened today.

Like I know my coworkers mean well.
Where they're trying to help how they can.
But at the same time.
It just gets frustrating when I come in to multiple jobs that are half done.
And I then have to figure out where things were completed, where they weren't, and pick up on the task halfway through.

And I suppose it's frustrating because I've told coworkers more than once that really they don't have to do some tasks and I can just work on them when I come in for my shift....and they end up doing the tasks anyways.

Like I like that they're trying to make my job easier.
But it only works if the job gets completed before I come in. 

As I hate picking up a cleaning task in the middle.
I hate having to figure out which half done job needs to be my first priority of the day. 

And that happened today.
I came into work to discover that while my coworker had opened the back rooms.
They hadn't opened the floor.
While they'd swept out the crickets.
They hadn't bagged them.
They had started the bedding the change....but hadn't finished it. 

And the main reason why these tasks didn't all get done.
Was because when the store opened, they ended up being the cashier.
Which means that they had to stay on the register.
Though they did attempt to continue doing things when there weren't customers around.

It was just....chaos that I came into today.
I didn't know where to start really.
Plus we had the added complication of reptiles coming in.
And a bug shipment coming in.
Which a different coworker tried to be helpful and put the bugs away for me.
Only they didn't know that we needed to date the various containers of bugs so we could keep track of when they came in and such. 
So I had to pull all the containers back out and date them before putting them back away.

While also trying to juggle opening the floor and making sure all the animals were fed.
Trying to finish the other opening tasks like scrubbing tanks.
And bagging crickets.

Along with trying to finish the bird bedding change.
Which since it had been done on Sunday didn't necessarily need to be done today. 
So I ended up only doing a quick change on one more bird cage after the one my coworker tried to clean.

And I ended up....not getting everything done.

Because these faint irritations at my coworkers...tense me out.
And triggered the faint headache I had woken up with this morning to become a full blown migraine that made it difficult to focus and do my tasks.

It ended up with me basically doing the bare basics...and then doing as quick of a basic close as I could to get out on time.

Because I was suffering.
Like stake in the skull pain stabbing me behind my eye.

I was trying to not stress about it.
The fact that I didn't get everything done.
I didn't complete the bird bedding change. -I needed to put some decor back in an empty cage.
I didn't finish the fish tank tasks. I still needed to gravel vacuum and put ornaments back and actually feed the fish.
But I didn't. 

Cus I ran out of time.
Because I spent too much time trying to figure out where I needed to pick up.
Got a migraine.
And ended up just trying to survive my shift without dying because my head hurt.

It was...not a good day.
But I was trying to keep a more positive lookout on the tasks I didn't complete.
As it will give me something to do tomorrow since Friday's there's nothing complicated to do and who knows when our fish shipment will actually show up.
So yah....I can get the tasks that didn't get done done a different time....

But it would have been so much easier if I could have just focused on one task.

Like have my coworker open the back and the floor and let me focus on the bedding change.
Or just focus on and finish the bedding change before I came in and let me open the rest of the department.....

I mean...
It's not a new occurrence. It's been an issue since we first switched me to midday/evening shifts. 
It's just one of those days where the fact that I have to pick up where others left off...just got under my skin. 

Hopefully tomorrow is better.

Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment