Monday, July 13, 2020

Don't Need Help

It was a rough start to my shift today.
Because basically the first major customer I had to deal with....was quite the Karen.

I was at the podium, bagging crickets when this mother and her four kids (all not wearing masks) came into the store and headed straight for the fish wall.
And like, I watched as the kids went ahead and heedlessly crossed the blue line we have marked up to keep people behind.
So I told them that they needed to stand behind the blue line.
And asked if there was anything I could help the family with.
To which the mother said that they were just looking.

Okay cool. 
But I watched as the mother moved closer to the fish and was standing over the blue line.
So again, I reminded them to stand behind the blue line.

And again told them to let me know if they needed help.

To which the mother basically rolled her eyes and got a bit more bristly in saying that they didn't need any help.

Only for like two seconds later for the mother to wonder aloud if we had any googly eyed fish.

Like I"m pretty sure she was asking if we had them.
And not pointing them out.

But my back was turned to them, so I just heard that she was wondering if we had a certain fish and so I turned around to point out the Black Moor Goldfish as I was pretty sure that was what she'd meant by 'googly eyed' fish. 

Only for her to snap at me that "We don't need any help." and proceed tell me that I was being rather rude to them.

And like...it just left me feeling like a kicked puppy.
That sinking feeling in your chest.

Where you just feel awful.

And like. I hated it.
It made me mad.
Because I hadn't done anything wrong.
I'd merely told the customer to stay behind the blue line, told them that if they needed help to let me know, and tried to show them where the black moor goldfish were.

Overall...it wasn't a rude interaction.

*exhales*

Like I know you can't make all customers happy.
But it was like this customer was just looking for a fight.

Or I guess she's just one of those people that doesn't like to be told what to do and having to follow all the new 'guidelines' that are meant to protect them.
I mean none of the family were wearing masks. 

It was just...a rude interaction.

And I was quite happy to not help them after that point.
After that point I ignored them. 
Because the woman had made it quite clear that 'she didn't need any help'

And had even mentioned as she stalked away that her kids could look but they'd probably go buy fish elsewhere with better service.

Like. Good.

I was quite glad to see the backs of them.

Though I was admittedly waiting for her to ask for assistance. 
Or try to get my cashier to help her or something.

Because I was the only one in the department.
And so if she wanted any fish.
She would have to go through me.
And guess what?
She didn't want my help. So that would have been a 'fun' conversation.

It never happened.
They left without buying anything.

But apparently it's a thing going around where mothers with their gaggle of children in tow come into the store and are rude to us.
As it apparently happened yesterday too.

*shakes head*

Gah. Not the best way to start out the day. Nope nope.

Until you next see these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment