Thursday, July 2, 2020

Management

It's a conversation that happens basically every time we have a new manager in the store.
Especially a new Head Manager or VP Manager.

At some point the question is asked to me....
If I want to be the next CEL (aka become a manager) or else they ask me why I'm not a manager yet.

The answer is pretty simple.
a) I like working with the animals and management doesn't give me that.
b) I don't like working evening shifts and as a manager I'd have to work multiple evening shifts in a week.
c) the CEL deals with customers and making sure they're happy in the store with very little time spent in my department where all the animals are.

And like...it feels kinda like the CEL position is cursed in my store?
Because I feel like I've gone through more CELs as they tend to rarely last longer than like six months. 
(Though I believe the current manager is nearing their year mark if the year hasn't passed already)

And perhaps it's cursed because I keep refusing to take the position and this is the universe's way to say "Hey Sarnic, you need to take this position or else we're gonna keep giving you new managers twice a year." 

In any case.
I've yet to see a good motivating reason (and no, getting more money is not currently motivation for me to leave my animals.) for me to step up.

Like I'm confident I could do it.
People constantly tell me that I'd be good as a manager.
And I'd like to believe I have a good head for handling the extra duties a manager has to do. 

It's just...I don't have the social energy to have to deal with customers 8 hours a day. 

Which I suppose the fact that I've been having to work such shifts the past few weeks due to lack of hours to keep me in the mornings and so I've been doing more evening shifts...proves that I am able to do it.

I just...hate feeling so drained after working those evening shifts.

And I do enjoy being more of the neck instead of the head.

But yah.
Today while talking to my VP Manager about various things, they brought up the manager question.
Asking why I hadn't become a manager yet.
As they wanted to make sure that I wasn't being overlooked.

To which I reassured them that it's been my choice to not become a manager and that if I do decide to step up I'll let them know. But right now I'm good where I'm at. 

I do admit...it is galling to have people who have less experience than me become managers over me. 
But at the same time I see the stress these managers experience in the CEL position and I'm just like...not fond of it. 

Though apparently my store is weird.
And we've made the CEL position far more complicated than it should be.
As the VP Manager stated it was their favorite position before they became the VP Manager. 
And apparently it's more common for other stores to lose their stocking managers and for the CEL to stick around for forever. 

Which it's the opposite for us here.
I mean we've gone through at least half a dozen of each, but the CEL definitely doesn't stick around as long as the stocking managers do. 

I don't know.
One of these days I may be convinced to leave my department and start climbing the management ladder.
We'll see. 

Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment