Sunday, November 28, 2010

Dobby

For those of you who haven't read Harry Potter book 7....(or seen the movie yet.)
You will want to skip this blog until you do...
Unless you don't care to know a spoiler of Book 7.....
Then you may keep reading. :)

In book 2 of the Harry Potter series, a character shows up called Dobby.

Now...
My second year of college...perhaps in the second semester of my first year of college.
I had a fish tank.
It had guppies inside of it....the pretty males.
(I had to beg to get a small fish tank in my room.....dumb apartments don't like pets >.<....I don't know why ;) ) lol.
Well I decided....after buying some betas for a roommate's birthday.
That I would like one for myself.
So I went to go buy a beta.
Now most betas are really prettily colored. blues, reds, whites, purples, combinations of all of them.
But I found one beta.
That was kind of brown...somewhat golden....a dirty gold color.
needless to say...He didn't look that pretty next to the bright colors.
Soo I did what I usually do.
:) I bought the misfit. :) lol.
(I have a soft spot for misfit animals/things.)
And My mom was like "You should call him Dobby."
So I did! :)

And Dobby and I had been friends ever since.
He had me pretty well trained
If I walked past and happened to look at him and he swam towards the front.
I'd go.
"oooh! Dobby! Are you hungry?!" And I'd feed him.
lol. I think he was a spoiled fishy, though I never understood why we'd only feed animals once a day when we ourselves as humans need at least three meals a day.
So I think he was pretty happy with being fed two to four times a day.

Though I felt sad that he didn't have any companions (besides snails) in his little tank. :(
Betas are mean fish though.....sooo its risky giving them friends.
I think they haven't been socialized, so they dont' know how to play nice.
So Dobby just had himself and the snails and me to be with.

We were a good team. :)
He was a great friend my second year when I had absentee roommates.

This past weekend, knowing I would be returning home for most of the week, and no roommates in the apartment, I decided to take Dobby home so he wouldn't starve to death.
Y_Y
I don't know if the journey didn't agree with him, or the water I put in his tank when I got to the house and filled it back to the top.

(if you still don't want spoilers you will need to stop reading now.)

Well. For Thanksgiving my family went to go see the Latest Harry Potter (#7 part1)
And I knew what happened to Dobby in the book.
And it happened in the movie as well. :(
It was a very sad moment.
But I couldn't help thinking.
Ha. It would be ironic if my fish Dobby died because he did in the movie.

:( Sadly....Irony came to pass.
Dobby hadn't really been acting himself the last couple of days.
Y_Y And this morning I found him...not moving.
Y_Y My poor Dobby.

RIP my college buddy. RIP
His burial at sea was a tear jerker :( :( but he's in a better place now.
Y_Y
My room seems so empty now.
I left my fish tank home.
So the spot where it usually resides is blank and....very disheartening to stare at.
I could have bought another Beta....and brought him back to the apartment...
But I'm going to wait until after Christmas Break and decide then.
Since I would just have to bring a fish tank back home then anyway for the holiday.

Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment