Monday, November 1, 2010

NaNoWriMo

Its the first of November, and for the past few years of my college experience that has meant one thing:
National Novel Writing Month otherwise better known as NaNoWriMo

I have never really participated in NaNoWriMo but I heard about it my first year of college (while pursuing Brandon Sanderson's website) and the idea has always intrigued me.
The idea is to write a 50,000 word (175pages) story in just 30 days.
Because you're working on writing the story so quick, it helps those people aspiring to be authors to relax their high standards and stop them from doing the endless tweaking and editing. (-which gets many potential authors stuck in a rut.) The idea is to write Quantity not Quality.
Sure, what you write might not be the worlds best seller, alot of it will just be garbage. But that's okay, writing so much in a month just helps to break down the barriers, to let you practice.
Then when NaNoWriMo is over you can edit and tweak to your hearts content! lol :)

There is an official forum where you sign up and do stuff....having never signed up myself I don't know what it all intells.
But the idea is just to give yourself the opportunity to write, to free yourself from the bonds of self doubt and any dignity. :) haha. ;)

I've never really had the opportunity to participate. :( I try, but it seems like November is the month where all my classes have projects due around the same time so I'm swamped.

So if you have some spare time and you have a story idea you've been dying to write out, why not take the NaNoWriMo challenge and take the kamikaze approach to write a book in 30 days that forces you to lower your expectations, take risks, and write on the fly. :)

Until you next see these words;
WRITE!! ;)
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment