Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Slithering

Snakes.

We've had a few of them in our house over the years.

They've usually lived in the basement where in case they escaped...
They would hopefully not figure out how to climb the stairs
And we wouldn't wake to a slithering companion.

Unfortunately the tricksy creatures..
escape alot.
Maybe the cats have helped them, they always seem curious about the snakes.
But I think snakes are just plain smart.
At least the little ones are.

After we found/bought/were given one snake (I don't remember..)
....it decided to have babies.
Us kids being young at the time, and loving having baby snakes, decided to name them
after candy :) lol
Skittles, Kitkat....there were more, but I remember those ones best.
We kept them in a tank...
But they would keep escaping
I don't think we ever figured out how they managed it.
But we'd come home
And they wouldn't be in the tank.
So we'd have to search.
:( Sometimes we found dead ones.
Mostly we found ones that were alive.
But in the end....they all disappeared.
(I think we might still be missing one years later.....maybe....or else we found all the dried up corpses...)

They just seem to be hard to care for, snakes. If they don't eat...its really hard to keep them alive.

Well....apparently we're trying again with another snake....a ribbon snake I think.
And yesterday...
It "escaped."

So began the mad search for the creature.

And we found it!
....still in the tank.
Somehow it had managed to get underneath the lid where it couldn't be seen, but couldnt' escape either.
How the snake managed to climb glass to get up there I dont' know
(nothing in the tank is tall enough to give it support.)
I just hope it doesn't escape while I'm here lol.

In the words of my brother "I think Snakes are smarter then we give them credit for."

Yes...yes they are.
They are excellent escape artists if given the chance and the time to work at it.

Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment