Tuesday, November 9, 2010

A Long Way Down

I was walking to school today, and when I came to campus I saw:
A firetruck
An Ambulance
and 4 police cars


My first thought upon taking in the scene was:
"Huh, somebody must be having a low blood sugar attack."


That was my first thought because a year or so ago in my biology class we had to call the police when somebody with diabetes in our class let their blood sugar get too low...so they started seizing up....I think that's the term...and the whole works appeared to check out the guy. *shakes head*...yah I didn't understand why either.....
So, automatically that was my thought and I kind of pushed the idea out of my mind.


When I got to my first class though...I overheard one of my classmates talking about it.


Now my school is 7 stories high...but no building is taller then four stories.
How is that possible?
Well...its built into the side of a hill basically. Soo the buildings kind of meander their way up (or down depending on the direction you're heading.) It basically looks like one school though because all the buildings are connected.
Anyway on the '6th floor' or Level 6 of our CS building...
Apparently somebody was standing on the ledge....
-many of the buildings have outside access-
I don't know if it was a suicidal attempt or not. I don't know if the dude was threatening to jump.....


I heard later that it have been a 'handicapped' (down syndrome i think) guy who just wanted attention....


Any who, whoever the dude was....he didn't die.
The police managed to reach him before he did anything really stupid.
Like falling from the '6th floor' (it could be considered the 3rd story)


When I first heard the news about someone attempting to commit suicide my first thought was


"Oh, poor guy....I should find him and become his friend."


Yep, that was my first thought.


The next one was "Don't you dare die on my campus!!" ;) haha.


I wonder how many deaths -suicides particularly- could be avoided if people were just more friendlier?
A smile, a nod, or a slight wave, when you make eye contact with someone can do wonders for somebody's day.
Taking the time to talk to someone who looks lonely and see how they're doing....because you just might save a life.


And perhaps become their friend. :)


Until you next see these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!


-Sarnic Dirchi

*Edited Note 11/10/10*
For more (correct nongossipy) details visit http://www.uvureview.com/2010/11/09/student-suicide-prevented-by-campus-local-authorities/ to read the actual story.

No comments:

Post a Comment