Friday, August 26, 2011

The Black Eye

I gave myself a black eye yesterday.
By complete accident I assure you :)
Our Institute Council had a retreat yesterday.
And we started things off with a bang.
By going to a ropes course for the morning.

At one point we split into two groups of around 15 people.
My group had more girls, the other group had more guys.
Frankly...I'm glad our group had more girls and few guys.
Otherwise...I might have been injured worse then I was. :) lol
We gathered around a tarp--that looked to be made of trampoline like material.
It had handholds all around the edge.
And we'd hold onto them.
While one person in our group would sit on the trampoline tarp -in the center.
Then in a concentrated effort. We'd pull back at the same time (1...2...3...Pull!)
And send the person sitting in the middle flying into the air.
We would let each person go twice.
And they had a choice of Small, Medium, Large, Super Large.
Well...everyone in my group chose for Super Large. (a couple went a little smaller first, then went Super Large) This looked fun....and scary at the same time. If I had an option...I probably would have backed out, just because Common Sense would win over Daredevilarly -it usually does ;) lol.
But since everyone was doing it. And they were all basically safe.
-Even if they did scream their heads off...
Then I would be fine.
So I got in the middle.
And opted for Super Large.
*gulp*
I was actually pretty excited. It looked like fun, and I thought it would be similar to a trampoline...
Yah. Its not.
Super Large.
lol if I thought I might have gone for a Medium.
Because I'm light as a feather.
And they sent me soaring into the sky.
-Apparently I sat a little wrong because I ended up twisting in the sky.
Sending me back down head first towards the 'trampoline'
-Luckily...I didn't break my neck. I tell myself its because I took like twelve years of gymnastics. :)
I loved the trampoline there. But I learned from there..and acting class. How to land.
So I landed on the base of my neck -the shoulder blades part-
And I would have been fine...
except, since my knees were now above my head...
They had to come down.
WHAM!
My right knee slammed into my right cheek.
OW!!
I lay there in pain, but I was laughing.
Mostly from the concept of "I can't believe I just did that!"
My cheekbone was and still is Aching.
People couldn't really see that I had hit my cheek with my knee. There was a red spot.
But I laughed off the pain...and not as confidentially let them Super Large me again.
-If I hadn't hurt myself, I think I would have gone smaller for my second turn.
But I'm a...stubborn and...dedicated person.
I wanted to prove that I wouldn't get hurt again.
...Heh....I am so lucky. That could have proved to be stupid. But nobody else had gotten hurt.
So I did it again.
And...
Managed to not land on my head or hit myself :)
I also have a pretty high tolerance to pain. -Okay I don't know how high, but I can deal with pain alright.
Even though my cheek was burning and aching.
I didn't go find aid for myself until after everyone had had a turn to be thrown into the air.
-I ended up with a blister and tearing that blister due to the friction of the rope on my left hand. Ouch.
So anyway. After the activity was done we had a break to go get water.
And I got myself some ice to calm down the swelling and took some Tylenol as well.

The result today when I woke up?




















Isn't it pretty?
The camera doesn't do it justice. Its more impressive in person.
Its easier to catch all the different colors in the light. :)
But its a nice rainbow color of red and purple :)
And it still hurts like the dickens. lol
(You like my eye? I like my eye :) its a cute eye ;) )

You might be wondering why I'm sounding rather positive about this 'battle wound' as members from the LDSSA would call it.
Well.
I've decided that it was a blessing.
A blessing to get a black eye? Yep Sarnic's gone crazy.
No.
lol.
It was a blessing.
Because you could say that this 'battle wound from my fight with myself and the sky'
Sent me into the 'limelight.'
I think if I hadn't gotten hurt.
I wouldn't have had as much fun as I did.
Because I usually try to stay 'unnoticed'
And this got my noticed.
People would come up to me and ask how I was feeling. Continually. They would keep checking up on me. Or ask to see my bruise, and comment upon it. (all the institute teachers got a kick out of telling the story of how I got my black eye, and showing it off to other people who hadn't been there but arrived later lol)
-comments were anything from "I wish I had a black eye, they're so cool looking!" to "You're still beautiful Sarnic." to "wow, that is a bruise isn't it?"
It got my noticed and from the attention...it allowed me to 'come out of my shell.' I was able to relax and just enjoy myself since I can be and usually am a reserved person in public.
This allowed me to be more social, talk to more people, and make a lot of new friends.
By the end of our 24 hours together, I felt really comfortable with the rest of my LDSSA council.
Its like we became best friends over night. Okay perhaps not that far.
But I felt more like 'one of the group' afterwards.
I don't think I would have if I hadn't gotten my black eye.
I would have been my shadowy self and probably would have been missing being home where I could have been 'more productive' (not.)
Instead, I was really sad that we had to end our time together so quickly.
I had fun, and the next couple of days will most likely be of posts of things that happened/impressions I got while on this Retreat.
It really was a nice 'boost' 'battery charger' and I feel more excited to go to school now in order to get to see these people.

....the only downside to the bruise?
Well I would say there wasn't really one. It looks epic! its cool! and now that the swelling has gone down its not as irritating, though it is still tender.

No the bad thing is...
My old roommate Almar.
Invited me to a Mary Kay 'before and after' makeup thing. (winning photos win a prize or something...idk I'm doing it to hang with her. lol)
Unfortunately
Its tomorrow.
I have a black eye.
And they don't want you wearing makeup -since they'll clean it off anyway.
So a bunch of strangers will get to see my black eye tomorrow.
lol those before and after pictures should be interesting. :)

But I don't really care at the moment. :) I had fun while getting hurt. Made friends, and shared experiences. It was totally worth it. :)

Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

The Dream
-I had to wake up suddenly by alarm (early in the morning like at 6am) the last two nights...my dreams fled from me :(

No comments:

Post a Comment