Friday, August 12, 2011

Panic vs. Calm

The other day I received a phone call. This recorded female voice, said that they were calling from my bank. And that my debit card had been limited.
I automatically went into panic mode, mostly because I had just activated my new debit card.
And I was wondering if I had done something wrong with the activation process.
Half of my mind was thinking that. The other half -the more calm half- was wondering how that could be possible that my card had been limited. I'd done everything right. There shouldn't be like a trial period or anything for my new debit card. (Panic half thought I might have accidentally activated a trial period)
The voice continued. "If you want to reactivate your card press one."
So I was like. Okay I need to reactivate this card.
I pressed one.
The voice then said: We need three pieces of information from you.
Then there was a long pause.
Panic side was hoping that I had all the information here. That I could get it all. and that I could reactivate the card.
Calm side was listening to panic side. But was withholding judgement as I stood, ready to go searching for the information needed.
Then the voice said. "We need the sixteen numbers on your debit card"
Panic me headed for my purse which held my wallet, which held the needed debit card.
Calm me stepped in at that point.
When my hand was reaching out to get my purse out.
Panic me didn't want to let go of the phone.
Calm me took advantage of that. Since it takes two hands to get my debit card out.
"Why do I need all 16 numbers?" Calm me reasoned "That's a bit...odd. Shouldn't this be simple. Why all 16 numbers?" In a split second I had hit end and terminated the call. With the idea of "If I made a mistake I can always call the customer service and get my card fixed." This soothed panic me. "Yes I can call back."
But I decided. Then. To call Noltur. Since handily. Noltur works at the same bank I bank at. :) Woot Luck!
Anywho. I called Noltur and asked "So I got a call saying my debit card had been limited...?"
"Its a scam" Noltur told me. "Our bank would never ask for your personal information."
(Which calm me probably had realized. Why do you need "three pieces of personal info?)
Both Panic me and Calm me were very relieved that Calm me had pushed end on the phone because I was suspicious of this.
I was remembering the last time I needed information...and it wasn't that complicated.
So why was the bank being complicated?
Well. It wasn't. :) The bank doesn't need my personal info since they already have it. :)
Sooo i dodged a bullet! woot!
I didn't give those scammers any information. Though it was a close call.
If I hadn't been lazy about getting my wallet out. I don't know what would have happened.
Though a bit of curiosity is left over. After the numbers on my debit card were given...what other two pieces of information they wanted?
Oh well. Curiosity will have to remain unsatisfied.
Just know. Be careful with phone calls from 'your bank' because there are scams going about.
Banks don't need your personal information. They already have it.
And if they need to confirm who you are the process will be much simpler :)

Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi
The Dream


i was downstairs in my basement.
Trying to design something.
with this other guy...sometimes it was my brother meralto, other times it was someone else.
And we asked this 'top designer' to help us design the dress.
So he was working with blues and reds to design this top for us.
........
There was also a scene dealing with dogs.
Where my dog Pepper and a bigger sheep dog type dog.
Were in this sandy area.
And they ran up the side of a sand dune.
But I think pepper got stuck, so the sheep dog had to convince pepper to come down.
It seemed like I had the view point of the dogs for a bit.
The humans were elsewhere in the background.
But then I was myself when I came sliding down the hill with pepper in my arms.
But I found my brother's cell phone. He'd accidentally dropped.


and then the unholy tones of daylight pulled me away....
and I became myself again.


-S.N.D

No comments:

Post a Comment