Saturday, August 27, 2011

Group Support

Peer Pressure.
It can make you do alot of things you weren't really planning on doing.
Like letting myself get thrown into the air and getting a black eye for example :)
(For the story about the black eye see yesterday's post)
But it can also have a positive aspect.
Inspiring you to do better.
At the ropes course we went to for our LDSSA retreat.
They had a rockwall.
I love rockclimbing.
So I was really looking forward to doing that....
only it looked like I wasn't going to. :( *sniff*
The other options were more 'fun' to the others.
So it wasn't going to happen.
Except I kept mentioning that I wanted to climb the rockwall.
As I was sitting there, with an icepack to my head.
And as lunch was getting started.
The leader came up to me and said "They're opening the rockwall specially for you Sarnic."
Wahoo!! I get to climb!! :D
-I was the only one allowed to climb.
So I got my gear on.
And as I was getting ready and they were setting up the course.
Almost all of the LDSSA members gathered around to see me climb.
Dun dun dun.
The pressure was on. Because I had said that I was good at rock climbing. Now I had to prove it.

Below is a picture of the rockwall that I would be climbing.



<- Bump


<- Bump

















There were three levels to this rockwall.
Which would correspond to easy, medium and hard.
I started at the bottom of the hard one.
Because it looked like the easiest starting point.
And I had the intention to move over to the easier side as I climbed.
Because they said I could do that.
Well...I never got the chance to move over.
See the bumps in the rockwall?
The ones that jut out from the flat face in two upside down V's?
Yep. I climbed that.
I hadn't ever really done that before. :)
But I had the strong Strong thought.
"I can't fall. I really can't fall, I can't tell them I'm a good climber and then fall!"
So I kept going up and over the first bump.
Then the second one.
-At one point my feet slipped. So I was hanging on by my hands.
-I could hear the people below cheering me on, and talking.
And I wouldn't give up.
So I got my feet back on the holds.
And kept moving upward.
I think it was the second bump..that I had a slight snag.
Of no good holds nearby to stick my feet in to pull myself up over the bump.
But my knee was in a good spot. So using my hands and my knee (right one -the one that gave me my bruise) I pulled myself up over it. All the while praying "Please don't let me slip. I don't want to hit my head again, I don't want to fall so close to the top."
I didn't slip! Yay!
But as I was getting over the second bump.
I was getting really shaky. My limbs were trembling from the effort.
-I don't go rock climbing that often though I love it.
Still I told myself.
All the council is down there. I need to get to the top. I need to get to the top. Prove that I can do it. Make it look easy. (I do that. Make it look easy. lol....)
Well. With my limbs shaking themselves to pieces.
I finally made it to the top.
YAY!!
That was a bolt of energy to my tired self to hear the people below me cheering and to know that I had accomplished another climb to the top. :)
(I almost always make it to the top....except for that really really difficult rockwall at girls camp those two years...grrrr)
So I was proud to have persevered and made it even though the climb became more difficult then I was planning it to be and shown the others that I had a talent :)

It was fun ^^ And I'm glad I had the pressure of support below me from my council to give me that boost of determination to make it all the way to the top.
(I would have forced myself to try anyway, but the support helped make it seem more worth it to get there.)

Until you next see these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

The Dream

Involved...classes....teaching things....a girl w/ red hair.....desks.....an LDSSA situation....and not doing things exactly right....

No comments:

Post a Comment