Wednesday, August 31, 2011

What Motivates You?

What Motivates you?
How well does that effect the long term out look, or your performance?
At the LDSSA Retreat, we were given this graph of Motivation.

Least Effective                             Most Effective
--I---------------I--------------I------------I----
Rewards        Fear           Duty          Love

Rewards- Are temporary, and they have to be continuous, once the rewards stops, the motivation to get the reward stops which means the thing needing to be done doesn't get done.
Fear- Can be longer lasting if you leave a lasting impression, but eventually the Fear wanes, and the person being subjected to the fear rebels.
Duty- If you feel like you need to do it out of duty, because you should, or you need to. It can last longer.
And finally Love. Where you do it because you can, not because you have to. You do it because you want to. not because its required. You do it because you 'love' the person and you want to please them.
(those were my own interpretations)

-I totally want to say more about this, but my Duty to my homework is calling to me and the Reward of being able to get more then 6 hours of sleep, as well as the Fear of failing my classes and the Love of reading new materials are all motivating me to not write more to this blog. :)
(that was an attempt to use all four types of motivation to show that different things could motivate out of different reasons. :) )

So its a food for thought concept tonight :)
What is motivating you right now? How are you being motivated because of that motivation? Should you change how you're being motivated to become better?  

Until you next see these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic

The Dream <- (Look I remembered it this time! WOOT!!)


I was in a store with other family members.
My parents wanted to give us all a backpack and let us pick one in two shelving areas.
It would be for free basically, a gift from the store.
I wandered around seeing a bunch of different backpacks. I was looking for a backpack backpack compared to the knapsack type of bags that have strings that went over the shoulders. I finally ended up with a brown backpack that came with a brown long eared doggie stuffed animal.
But that wasn't all. When nobody was looking -I had to move into another aisle to do this when nobody was looking. My parents let me pick another stuffed animal out. So I reached up and pulled down another dog stuffed animal and tried to keep it hidden. I picked it so my current brown dog would have company.
But it ended up that people saw stuffed animals for sell just a couple of aisles over and they wanted them, even though they weren't part of the deal. Finally the store people decided that we could get them -they were smaller ponies and puny stuffed animals- for half off. I went through the shelves which reminded me of storage shelves for food storage they were grey and rickety. I went over to see if there was anything I would want. I saw alot of little pony stuffed animals and a couple of small two inch stuffed animals, And whenever I tried to move forward to see more little stuffed animals (I hadn't seen any that I wanted) I would end up in a different part of the shelving away from the stuffed animals. I tried to figure it out a couple of times until i realizes there was a 'secret' entrance. I went to try it.
And I was in church the Bishop was asking if I would play the piano. So I said yes. and they wanted to know what songs I could play. I told them hymn 19 and 6 I think. And I also ended up changing a hymn to number 3 -We thank thee oh God for a prophet. Which they thought was very good because the other songs -I think Redeemer of Israel was one of them- also related to the prophets. Then I opened up the hymn book to number 19..or was it 17. and it wasn't the song I thought it was. It was a song titled..Hope Saves ---something.Today? I dont' know. It was a hymn we'd never sung before. And I could hear everyone in the congregation saying that. But I started to play this song I never knew how to play. And the melody was similar to Now Let us Rejoice...I think...but it was a melody that was similar enough to the two songs I really knew how to play. The notes would go a bit higher then I was used to, but I was doing alright. I was still only top handing it though. And when I finished one verse I decided that was enough though I did hesitate before continuing and looked at the bishop and he gave me that nod of "its fine lets go on to the prayer" So I sat down and closed my eyes waiting for the prayer to be said and thinking "Oh man..what song did I pick for the Sacrament hymn? Was it Redeemer of Israel? I hope its sacrament appropriate.


When the unholy tones of daylight pulled me away....
And I became myself again.


 -S.N.D

No comments:

Post a Comment