Wednesday, February 13, 2013

A 900 Page Battle

There are neither beginnings nor endings to the turning of the Wheel of Time, but it was an ending.

It's done.
I can't believe it.
Finished.

and you know what?
I feel like I've hopped through a field of shards with my hands tied behind my back, unable to stop for the harrying force of snakes behind me only to come to the end and look around and say....is that it?

Ever feel like you were spun like a top?
Wrung out like washing?

That's A Memory of Light for you.

It's one big giant battle.
Fights everywhere.
Blood everywhere.
Death everywhere.

I mean the chapter titled "The Last Battle" is TWO HUNDRED pages long! It's its own book! Within a 900 page book!

Wow.
Just wow.

Usually at the end of the books I rant and scream and say "THIS CAN'T BE THE END!!! YOU BETTER WRITE MORE AUTHOR!! I WANT TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS NEXT!!"

This book.
I feel like I've been through a wringer.
There were so many battles, fights....if you love war books this is the book for you...
that by the time I finished the final page.
I....was and am...numb emotionally.
Just like a solider who has seen too much fighting.
I have read waaay too much about the last battle.
It was tense.
Aggravating.
but also fun.
Funny.
Emotional.
Happy.

Yah...reading about all those battles and people dying...it's a bit numbing.

Yet....even though I had favorite characters die.
Even though I want more info on what happens after the final page.
It's a satisfying ending.

Robert Jordan accomplished what I think he was trying to do.
The Wheel of Time Turns
Ages Come and Pass
Memories become Legend.
Legend fades to Myth
and Even Myth is long forgotten when the age that gave it birth comes again.
Yet. No matter what happens.
There are always turnings to the Wheel of Time.
No endings. No beginnings.
But this 14 book series was a beginning.
and it was an ending.

It's hard to mourn my favorite characters passing because in the world Robert Jordan set up....everyone is reborn. Different body, different situation, different plot line.
But unlike other books where a character dies and it's heart wrenching.
This....isn't.
I mourn the passing of my favorites.
Especially the Youngling with the rings! How could he be soooo IDIOTIC!! GAH!
Yet, I mourn with the knowledge that this isn't a forever goodbye.
They will be born again. All of them.
If not again in this age....then the next.

And hopefully some of my questions will be answered in this encyclopedia that will come out eventually lol.
Mostly what happens after! I mean...I want to know how the survivor's lives play out afterwards.

I did catch glimpses through the book on possibilities and now... I want to know if those possibilities are actually realities lol. :)

A Memory of Light.
A great book.
With twist endings.
And hopes fulfilled.
lol though with all the fighting and bloodshed...I really don't think I'll read it again anytime soon. There's just....so much carnage it's hard to comprehend it all. Read about soo many people dying.
It left me worn out like I'd fought in the battles myself.

And for that...I think I a bit of a rest after the battle is great. :) lol.
But...I will probably read it again....sometime. Just so I can connect events that happen in the last book to events that happen in the first and all inbetween.

It was amazing though.
900 pages of amazing.
Robert Jordan is amazing, and Brandon Sanderson's exquisite use of his notes magnified the books in ways I hadn't imagined.
Thanks guys!

Until you next see these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment