Thursday, February 28, 2013

Continuing to Serve

A number of years ago I received a rather unique and frightening assignment.
Folkman D. Brown, then our Director of Mormon Relationships for the Boy Scouts of America, came to my office, having learned that I was about to depart for a lengthy assignment visiting the missions of New Zealand.
He told me of his sister, Belva Jones, who had been stricken with terminal cancer and who knew not how to "break the sad news" to her only son--a missionary in far-off New Zealand.
Her wish, even her plea, was that he remain in the mission field and serve faithfully.
She worried about his reaction, for the missionary, Elder Ryan Jones, had lost his father just a year earlier to the same dread disease.

I accepted the responsibility to inform Elder Jones of his mother's illness and to convey to him her wish that he remain in New Zealand until his service there was completed.
After a missionary meeting held adjacent to the majestically beautiful New Zealand Temple, I met  privately with Elder Jones and, as gently as I could, explained the situation of his mother.
Naturally, there were tears--not all his--but then the handclasp of assurance and the pledge: "Tell my mother I shall serve, I shall pray, and I shall see her again."

I returned to Salt Lake City just in time to attend a conference of the Lost River Stake in Idaho.
As I sat on the stand with the stake president, Burns Beal, my attention was drawn to the east side of the chapel, where the morning sunlight seemed to bathe an occupant of a front bench.
President Beal introduced the woman as Belva Jones and said, "She has a missionary son in New Zealand. She is very ill and has requested a blessing."

Prior to that moment, I had not known where Belva Jones lived.
My assignment that weekend could have been to any of many stakes.
Yet the Lord, in His own way, had answered the prayer of faith of a devoted Relief Society member.
Following the meeting, we had a most delightful visit together.
I reported, word for word, the reaction and resolve of her son Ryan.
A blessing was provided.
A prayer was offered.
A witness was received that Belva Jones would live to see Ryan again.

This privilege she enjoyed.
Just one month prior to her passing, Ryan returned, having successfully completed his mission.

Thomas S. Monson -The Spirit of Relief Society -April 1992 General Conference Relief Society Meeting.

Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

The Dream

I dreamt of wolves.

-S.N.D

No comments:

Post a Comment