Sunday, February 10, 2013

Hamster Overload

I have this bad habit.
Of assuming people know what I'm talking about....
When maybe they don't.

For example...Hamsters.
I talk about Syrians, Robos, Russians....
totally knowing what I'm talking about,
when the person I'm talking to probably has no idea.

lol it happens all the time at work when I tell people there are different kinds of hamsters because they assume they're all the same.
Yet...talking about work not at work...I totally forget people don't know.

So for fun. Those of you looking for hamsters.
I'm going to give you a briefish overlook on the different types. :)
Mostly because I'm rather obsessed with them since the only 'small mammals' I've owned have been rabbits.
They're something new that I have no experience with. Hence why I tend to talk about them more then the other animals we sell at the store. As I really do want one.

So.
We'll start smallest to largest.

Robo Dwarf Hamsters


These guys are small around two or three inches long, and their coloring basically stays the same as the picture above. Sometimes it's lighter sometimes darker.
Alot of people come into the store wanting them because they are so small and cute.
But just like fish.
The smaller they are the quicker they are.
These guys can get HYPER!
They are super hard to catch and if you let them out of your grip...they're gone. Long gone.
We still have a missing robo somewhere in the store.
When doing bedding changes these guys will run back and forth against the glass like the entire hour as I switch out their bedding and wash everything. totally hyper.
If you have young kids I WOULD NOT get a robo unless you intend to just sit there and watch them run around in their ball or on the wheel.
Again this is just my experience with them at the store. Having never kept them as pets....they could possibly calm down after being tamed. As we don't handle them much beyond showing them to potential customers and bedding changes. Not enough to tame them.
But, these guys aren't prone to biting. So that's in their favor. :)

Winter Whites


The Winter Whites are the next largest in size. four to five inches. They're the middle size.
I have two pictures above because I've seen them in both colorings. The darker on the left and the creamier one on the right.
Funnily enough, we got more of the lighter coats in when winter came, before the snows struck, the hamsters came in the darker color.
These guys are less hyper then the Robos, but they can nip at you more...from experience these guys can be cage aggressive where they'll nip you while they're in the cage, but they will calm down once out in your hands. So if you do get one that seems aggressive, scoop it up in something and let them crawl out of that onto your hand.
I haven't been bit though. They do stay pretty calm.
lol what I have notice is that these guys are more of the 'screamers' out of any of them. Especially if you disturb them when they're sleeping. They'll just chatter/scream at you if you come near them basically saying "Don't COME NEAR ME!" lol. But they don't usually attack and are calm enough once you pick them up.
These guys would probably do alright with older kids. Above age ten or so.

Russian Hamster and Fancy Russian Dwarf Hamsters.


I don't know why they call the Fancy Russians, Fancy Russian Dwarfs...they end up the same size as the regular Russians and those are the same size as the Winter Whites.
The main difference between the Fancy's and the Regulars are coloring.
But not always.
The Russians usually come in White or the creamy color in the picture on the left.
Notice how they look alot like the winter white's with the lighter coat?
Yah...me to. I thought they were Russians those lighter colored Winters.
More often then not the though the creamy coat is the regular Russians or they come in pure white usually with red eyes.
The Fancy Russians come in any color and patterning under the sun it seems like. Grey to White to Cream to Brown to Black. Some with spotted coats, others purely one color with lighter chests, others all one color, and still others...where...well they take after the Syrians Where they have two main patches separated by a band of white. I just want to say a 'saddle back' in color. Who knows. I do know that even though the picture on our tag for the Fancy Russians are black or black and white...that coloring comes into our store rarely.
The Russians...are my least favorite of the hamsters.
They have nipped me multiple times so I consider them the most likely to bite.
yet...that's not true. They seem bipolar in nature. Some are utterly docile, there was a white hamster with a couple of light brown spots on his coat that was utterly easy going. Wouldn't turn an ear no matter what you did with him. He didn't mind being picked up at all. While his cage mate...would strike out and try to bite me so I couldn't pick him up.
Soo it really depends on the hamster with these guys. Some are sweet, some are aggressive, some just cage aggressive.

Short-Haired Syrian Hamsters


This is my inspiration hamster. ^^ LOVE THESE GUYS! :D
The Short-Haired Syrians are what I recommend for most people who come looking for a hamster. They're pretty calm and mellow, don't bite, and usually don't chatter (unless you really bug them when they don't want to be bugged)
They're the largest of the hamsters, but I think the larger size makes them more mellow.
They come in the colors seen above. All cream (the 4th pict) "Saddle Backed" (2ndpict) <-Fancy Russians have the same sort of pattern sometimes as well.-- More often the not the Syrians come looking like the 1st and 3rd picture. A darker red brown with lighter bottoms and darker edges.
So for the younger kids. I would say go for these guys. They're larger so they're easier to hold, just be watchful of the child as any hamster will bite if they're squeezed too tightly.

Long-Haired Syrian Hamsters


Long-Haired Syrians are the same size and just like their short-haired counter parts. They just have longer hair. Their coloring tends to be more saddle backed, but these guys tend to come in a variety of colors. Black to brown to reddish to creamy. More often they're White and some other color, but we do get in some like the first picture or that look like the short haired Syrians above this. Again with longer hair they're popular because longer seems softer.
They have the same temperament as the short-haireds and are just sooo FLUFFY! :D lol.
Because they have longer hair...you might have to do a bit of hair-care to comb out knots, but from my experience in the store...these guys do a pretty good job of keeping their fur clean and untangled by themselves.

Fancy Bear Syrian Hamsters



Last but not least are the Fancy Bears. :) They're the same size as the Short-haired and Long-haired Syrians and are of the same temperament. The coloring differs in that the Fancy Bears come in black, black with a white line down their chest, or black and white in a variety of patterns mostly like the picture on the left. The main difference with these guys as that they are more expensive then the Long and Short-haired Syrians. It makes me think that getting the black color is harder to get...so more expensive. but I have no idea otherwise why these guys cost more.


So recap.
Robos -Small, hyper. don't bite. Not good for small children
Winters- Medium, Mellow, chatterers, can bite.
Russians/Fancy Russians-Medium, Depending on the hamster...mellow or can be biters.
Short/Long-haired/Fancy Bears -Large, Calm, don't bite, easy to hold.

For the most part the hamsters have black eyes, but they can have ruby eyes and not just the all white ones.
Also Males need to be housed ALONE! As once they get old enough they will start fighting each other.
Females can be housed in pairs...they tend to get along but be sure to watch them, just in case.
Males and Females can live together one on one...but that's basically a breeding pair, soo I wouldn't recommend it. :)

Hopefully this helped somewhat if you're looking to get a hamster :)

Also Briefly
-Guinea pigs are the best for small children, they don't bite, they're fun to play with...but they do smell -not as badly as the rats.
-Rats are also great for kids as well as odd as that sounds. They don't bite. And are super smart, they'll come to their names, BUT They are continuous eaters and poop constantly. meaning...their bedding gets smelly really quickly as well. -Their bedding is my least favorite thing to do-
-Mice....are basically miniature rats....and not as smart. They smell too. I don't think it's a good idea for children to have them...but we sell them so rarely that I don't know much about them.

I hope this...okay it wasn't that brief introduction to the different hamsters clarifies things up a bit and gives you some good information. :D
At least you'll know what hamster(s) I'm talking about when I bring them up next time. ^^;; heh
Also, If you have any questions I didn't answer, please comment below and I will reply as soon as I can with the answer. :)

Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

The Dream

I remember dreaming that I was getting stabbed in the back.
-that woke me up. Fell back asleep-
I was in this facility...it was like a medical place...but more future techy...it kinda made me think of SHIELD...crossed with the situation in Warm Bodies with a bit of...idk...alienness experimental lab mixed in. Anyway, I was new to the place...well newish...I guess it was my first day in the facility...on the job? odd as it was as my dad ran the facility (kinda like Warm Bodies) inside this lab were...white octagonal looking containers...that were separate...but all together. As if you went into the room you could reach all the containers from the inside...while they remained separate. In any case. I mostly looked in through the windows placed there. The windows allowed the viewer to see...
dun dun dun. The Zombies.
I really only remember two.
one looked like The Hulk.
Green. Big Fists.
The other....looked more human. He had...blondish..no maybe black hair...I guess it changed throughout the dream. It was lank...stringy but the face looked innocent enough this Zombie.
Yet he was the most...dangerous creature that the facility housed. Apparently he'd murdered a bunch of people.
Oddly enough...I felt for him. I was drawn to this guy. This Zombie.
It was weird...this facility. It seemed like...at a certain period...maybe at night the Zombies were released from their frozen state to go wreck havoc wherever they wanted to. And then when the bell sounded they dashed back into their cages and went into their poses. Like fighting stances and such and they'd become...immobile.
I didn't really like it. It seemed wrong to me.
And I ended up realizing that these guys weren't really zombies. (alot like Warm Bodies) if given the time, care, and attention these killers could act human, think for themselves. Not Kill People. I tried to show this to my dad, hulk tried to speak up for himself, but the father refused to listen and I ended up helping them to escape.
We dashed to a home...on the plains...out away from people....where my family and I were part of a fair of sorts. There were stores and such set up and a setting of the inside of an old castle with frozen actors within showing the parts of the kings and queens and such. I walked through that in the snow towards this waterfall. I'd seen this place and been to it before. My family followed me as we made our way slowly along the trail following others. Those who didn't take the right path...ended up sliding around and getting attacked by creatures...bears...t-rexes....elk....but my family and I carefully made it to the viewing platform where I was able to take pictures before we headed back....

Then the unholy tones of daylight pulled me away....
and I became myself again. :)

-S.N.D

No comments:

Post a Comment