Monday, November 4, 2013

April 1997 General Conference Saturday Morning

Gordon B. Hinckley -May We Be Faithful and True
  • The Lord is watching over his Kingdom. He is inspiring its leadership to care fore its ever-growing membership.
Thomas S. Monson -The Sustaining of Church Officers

Boyd K. Packer -Washed Clean
  • I have long believed that the study of the doctrines of the gospel will improve behavior quicker than talking about behavior will improve behavior.
  • I learned that when I didn't live as I ought to, getting myself spiritually clean was not as easy as taking a shower or putting on clean clothing or falling out of a canoe.
  • You, by nature, are good. How many times have you heard someone say, after doing some generous or heroic deed or simply helping others, how good it made them feel? Like any natural feeling or emotion, that reaction is inborn in you. Surely you have experienced that yourself! Happiness is inseparably connected with decent, clean behavior.
  • Doctrine can change behavior quicker than talking about behavior will.
  • I say to you again that a knowledge of the principles and doctrines of the gospel will affect your behavior more than talking about behavior.
Neal A. Maxwell -"From Whom All Blessings Flow"
  • Something I have heard President Hinckley do many times publicly is to give all the glory, the praise, and the honor to God. This is something I am going to do more often.
  • Uncertainty as to our longevity is one of life's basic realities for all of us. Hence, you and I should importune in faith for the blessings we deeply desire, but then be "content with the things which the Lord hath allotted unto [us]". Clearly our individual exit routes from this life vary; so does the timing.
  • Those who emerge successfully from their varied and fiery furnaces have experienced the grace of the Lord, which He says is sufficient. Even so, brothers and sisters, such emerging individuals do not rush to line up in front of another fiery furnace in order to get an extra turn!
Patricia P. Pinegar -Caring for the Souls of Children
  • I speak to all parents and every adult member of the Church and invite all to unite in caring for the souls of children.
  • The dangers threatening the lives of our families do not retreat.
  • Do I leave my children exposed to danger when my example is not the same as my words or when I don't share my love in such a way that each child feels it deeply?
  • Our Father has blessings and eternal rewards available for each of His children, whether they are married or single, parents or childless.
  • "You need more than your own wisdom in rearing [your children]. You need the help of the Lord. Pray for that help and follow the inspiration which you receive."
  • Fathers, control your tempers, now and in all the years to come. Mothers, control your voices, keep them down. Rear your children in love, I the nurture and admonition of the Lord.
Joseph B. Wirthlin -"True to the Truth"
  • I challenge you to stand for that which is right and true and good.
  • Do we, indeed, actually live the gospel, or do we just manifest the appearance of righteousness so that those around us assume we are faithful when, in reality, our hearts and unseen actions are not true to the Lord's teachings?
  • The Lord has made it clear that He will not be fooled by appearances, and He has warned us not to be false to Him or to others. He has cautioned us to be wary of those who project a  false front, who put on a bright pretense that hides a darker reality. We know that the Lord "looketh on the heart" and not on the "outward appearance."
  • "A double minded man is unstable in all his ways."
  • President Marion G. Romney wisely observed that there are too many of us "who try to serve the Lord without offending the devil."
  • Worthiness interviews are conducted in a spirit of loving concern for each son and daughter of a loving God. These interviews represent the rehearsal stage for final judgment. Such interviews are a blessing, a choice opportunity to account to the Lord through His authorized servants for the sacred stewardship we all have to "watch [ourselves], and [our] thoughts, and [our] words, and [our] deeds."
  • Worthiness interviews, sacrament meetings, temple attendance, and other Church meetings are all part of the plan that the Lord provides to educate our souls, to help us develop the healthy habit of constantly checking our bearings to stay on the path of faith. Regular spiritual "checkups" help us navigate life's highway and byways.
James E. Faust -Eternity Lies before Us
  • The deepest questions of our existence are answered in the temple.
  • This life makes no logical sense unless we think in terms of the eternities.
  • A basic eternal truth of this Church is that families may, if they are worthy, have an eternal relationship; for us it would not be heaven without our parents, our grandparents, our eternal companions, our children, and our posterity.
  • Within the hallowed walls of the temples, there is no preference of position, wealth, status, race, or education. All dress in white. All receive the same instruction. All make the same covenants and promises. All receive the same transcendent, eternal blessings if they live worthy to claim them. All are equal before their Creator.
  • As the pioneers had the larger vision in their daily challenge for survival, so also we need to have a greater vision and understanding of our eternal destiny. Our challenges are more subtle but equally hard. Maintaining our spiritual strength is also a daily challenge. The greatest source of that spiritual strength comes, as it did in their time, from our temples.
Until you next see these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

The Dream
 
It was like a little house in the prairie setting, where me and another family were out in the middle of nowhere eking out a living by mining in a nearby mine shaft. But there was this 'bad' family that was making life super difficult for us, and they ended up having a grudge against me for some reason...I think it was because I snuck into the mine to see what they were doing and they nearly caught me and they didn't want me to reveal what I found, but luckily my neighbors and my family were willing to hide me. I squished into this small room with the parents and a sibling and we hid out there. The big bearded man's unfortunate looking daughter came and peeked into the room, but I was on the side of the door that wasn't quite as visible as the other side and for some reason she didn't look fully into the room and find me. Though she did try to peer through the cracks to make sure that there weren't more then three people in our tiny space. I managed to fool her by lifting my feet up off the ground. the bearded man came and peered into the door as well, but didn't look my direction. We ended up having a competition where we threw disks at a tree holding tatters of cloth with the goal to try and knock the cloth off. My best friend with darker skin managed to do so to the surprise of the bearded man. For he's rigged it so the cloth wouldn't fall down and he would win. once it was discovered that he had cheated he lost the game and him and his family had to move out and leave us in peace. The family that helped us took the larger side of our two sided home where that other family had been living as they needed more room then our family though that side had been trashed and needed to be fixed up badly. We tried to convince them otherwise but they were insistent.....

then the unholy tones of daylight pulled me away....
and I became myself again. :)

-S.N.D

No comments:

Post a Comment