Saturday, November 9, 2013

Shadowed

It's odd having a shadow.
I mean, not the thing that the sun makes when it shines on you.
But a person as a shadow.
Someone shadowing you at work.
Following you around and such.

I had that today.
A new hire shadowed me today.

Apparently there's a difference between shadowing and...training.

I was told the new hire would be shadowing me today.
And I took that to mean training the new hire.
I mean...telling them what to do, showing them how the department works.

Apparently, shadowing means...following the person around and not doing much beyond watching.

Rather boring. In my mind.

Soo I ended up doing a combination of both.
Teaching and just letting them follow me around being my shadow.

And when I say teaching I mean....I rattle off different bits of information as I help other customers.
Like "These fish are easier to catch if there's a lot of them." or "Here's where you can find the pamphlets to give to the customer" etc. I mean, it's more interesting to learn then to watch and wonder what you're supposed to be learning.

I don't know how well I did at letting the new hire shadow me for six hours.
I just know that I talked waaaay more then I usually do. Even when there's a lot of customers in the store.

Lol hopefully something stuck. :)

Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment