Monday, April 9, 2018

A Moment of Listening

I've gotten quite used to having children crowd around me while I'm working.
After all, I can get how it's fascinating to see someone feeding the fish and opening the cages and such. 
So the little ones often crowd close around me to try and see what I'm doing while asking a ton of questions.

lol which the parents are always like so apologetic about it and trying to pull their kids away. 
Which honestly, I don't mind them being close. It just means I have to be a tad more careful when opening and closing cages to ensure that I don't accidentally squish or pinch little fingers. 

It was one of those situations. 
Where I was in the middle of feeding the reptiles. 
That I had three young girls approach me.
 Probably ranging between 6 and 12 years old. 

The youngest one, of course, being the one filled with the most questions. 
All of them wanted to know if they could hold the reptiles and such and see them.
Which I told them they could only hold it if their parent was nearby.
Which they went to grab their mom, only to come back parentless with the words of "she'll be here in a second." 

So for the next 5-10 minutes as I was finishing up feeding the reptiles, I was answering their questions, but also listening to the stories they were telling and you know...just kinda paying attention to them and not brushing them away.

Which I guess struck a cord with them?
Because when their mom called over "Girls! Time to go!" (they hadn't held the reptiles and by this point I think they'd forgotten) 
The two youngest girls were like "Bye!!" And each gave me a hug goodbye before going to join their mom.

Lol Which caught me a bit by surprise.
Because customers don't usually hug me while I'm at work lol. 
And like...I was a complete stranger to these little girls.
So the fact that they were like "Here's a hug! Thanks for talking! Bye new friend!" 
Was rather heartwarming lol. ^^;; 

Definitely a highlight to my day for sure. :D 

Until you next see these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment