Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Too Lethargic

I'm rather curious how this customer ended up with the lizard in the first place.
Because either she wasn't the one who bought it.
Or else my coworkers didn't do as good of a job in teaching the woman about the lizard and it's needs as they should have been doing. (Who knows she might have been one of those "I've owned these before" sort of people, but I doubt it.)

So there I was, on register, helping to back up a massive line of people that materialized basically out of nothing. 
When a woman comes up to the register, with a critter tote in one hand and a bag in another. 
Wanting to return a lizard.

Usually it's because the lizard is dead, but judging by the critter tote that was set up as a sort of cage....
I doubted the lizard had died.

But to be safe I asked her why she was returning the lizard and what lizard it was.

She said she'd bought a gecko and was returning it because she thought it was dying. 
Why?
It hadn't moved. It just laid there. It wasn't being active at all. (Which struck me as...an odd complaint...as Lizards aren't the most....active of creatures. Most of the time the just sit there unless you're feeding them.)
But she'd also tried to feed it....and it hadn't eaten anything.

Which I was really concerned about the 'lethargic' part, but was also confused as upon glancing at her receipt, I noticed that the woman had purchased the gecko....Yesterday.

Which...the way she'd been talking I'd expected her to have had the gecko longer than that. 
And if the gecko was dying...then that's well...bad because how can a gecko get sooo sick so quickly? This had me thinking that the gecko probably wasn't as sick as the customer was saying it was. 
And the 'not eating' part makes sense. Because she'd bought it yesterday. New animals don't always eat right away when they're taken to their new homes. They have to acclimate to their new environment. 

Going by the setup of the critter tote, and the fact she'd said gecko
I was thinking that she'd bought a Leopard Gecko.
As the cage was set up for a more desert type environment.

So I was rather surprised to lift up the home and discover that she'd bought the Crested Gecko.

As Cresteds are tropical. Meaning that they like a humid environment. So it's best to have a moister cage, one with dirt and such. 
It also made more sense why she was like "It's not moving. It's not eating."
Because Cresteds aren't the most active during the day. 
They just find a nice place to hide and sit there, being more nocturnal and such. Plus, they usually go for a more fruity diet, so it makes sense that they wouldn't eat a lot of crickets. 
And again, being nocturnal they would be more likely to eat at night. Not during the day.

In any case.
I picked up the gecko to check him out.
And dude perked right up. Jumped out of my hands.
And the customer was like "That's the most active I've seen him."
My response was "Ah, well animals usually like me." 

But yah, the gecko seemed just fine to me. 
But the customer wanted to return him so I started the process.

And realized another issue as I was going through her receipt, returning the items.

As the woman had brought the gecko in in a medium sized critter tote. 
I had assumed that it was just a traveling tote for the gecko to get it to the store. 

But going through the receipt, and seeing how she'd placed things in the tote and such....
I realized that the critter tote was what the woman had been planning to keep the gecko in. 

Which...crested geckos don't need as much heat as the more deserty bearded dragons and leopard geckos do. 
But still. They do well with a heat source. 
So again...it makes sense why the gecko was being lethargic...not being warm enough could also be the issue. 
*shakes head* 

Needless to say...the woman had tried to go as cheap as possible on everything.
And then got upset after 24 hours when the gecko wasn't being active.

*shakes head*
Lady, if you want an active animal....a reptile isn't the way to go. They tend to just sit there. 

Thankfully, she brought him back.
But still...I wonder if she's going to do a bit more homework next time she tries to get a reptile.... 

Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment