Saturday, April 21, 2018

All in the Hues

Have you ever done those color tests. 
Where like you try and see how many different shades of color you can see out of the color spectrum?

And like the amount of colors you can see can indicate how many cones and rods you have in your eyes?
I think it's like the more you have, the more able you are to see colors. 

And like. I've taken it for granted that when I take that test, I'm on the higher end of the spectrum.
Like I can distinguish a lot of different shades of color.

But I never....really thought about how it impacts my life.
Seeing all these different shades.

.....until I tried to convince a customer that two different colors of fish were actually two different colors and not just the one same fish. *exhales* 

So there was a woman who was looking our tanks. 

-And let me tell you now, her attitude sucked. The quiet anger in her tone, the frustration and disbelief... oh yah I did not like her after two seconds of talking to her. 

But in any case.
I asked her if I could help her find anything.

To which she was like "I came in to get some Sunburst Platys, but you still only have Marigolds." 

O.o Huh?
"No." I was quick to explain. Because geez lady you're wrong. "There's sunbursts in here. See those ones there are sunbursts, while these ones here are Marigolds." 

Image result for sunburst platy  This is a Sunburst. Which tend to be more orange/yellow towards the head and have a red/orange towards the back.

Image result for marigold platy       This is a Marigold. Which tend to have red tails, and a greenish/yellow shimmer towards the head. 

For me the difference is obvious. 
I can easily tell the shades apart and such.

But the customer.
No.
She was like "They all the same, they don't look like my sunburst at home, these are all marigolds." 

And I'm like. "No. The brighter orange ones are Sunburst while these duller ones with the red tails are Marigolds" 

Her response: They all have red tails. 

>.> 

*throws up hands* 
Fine.
Whatever.
If you want to be obstinate and not believe me when I say that the Sunbursts are Sunbursts then you can go ahead and leave empty handed without your fish. 

>.> 

It also didn't help that she was like "Also you have no Otos (a type of catfish/algae eater) again. You haven't had them all year." 
And I was like "No, we got them in like four weeks ago because I got some then."
"NO, I called four weeks ago and you didn't have them!"
"Well, we did because I bought some then."
Her: *sarcastic* Oh congrats to you then. 


Like....gah.
I don't like her.
Like lady, not my fault that whatever week we had otos in for TWO WEEKS STRAIGHT were the TWO WEEKS you didn't call the store and realize we had otos in because we GOT THEM IN. 

I also don't like that she had the attitude of "I'm not going to believe anything at all you say because you're just lying to me." 

>.>
Like lady.
I'm telling the truth if you'd just get your ears unplugged enough to listen to me. 

*exhales*
Anyways off that soap box.

It was intriguing that she couldn't see the color difference between the Marigolds and the Sunbursts....but her daughter could and I could.

Like....was she purposely not wanting to see the difference in the fish?
Or could she actually not see the difference in the fish?
Did they actually all look the same to her?
Like....she couldn't see one was more orange and the other had a more vibrant red?

It was just....offputting.
To realize that no everyone sees every color the same way I do. 

It's weird to think about.
That we see shades of color differently. 
Some can pick out more hues while others can pick out fewer.

Crazy. Seriously. 

Until you next see these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi


No comments:

Post a Comment