Monday, April 30, 2018

It's the Little Things

Writing can be such an interesting process.
Especially when its with story writing. 

Because I find that oftentimes.
My mind becomes focused on little details of the story.
Details, that really, 98% of the people who read said story wouldn't even think about or notice if I got it wrong.

But then I'm like... No! I need to know EXACTLY what this detail is and what it entails and how I can make sure it works in the story and *exhales* 

I think this is where my perfectionistic tendencies come out lol. 

If I don't know enough detail about a 'throw away line' in my fic....I'll go look it up and make sure I have enough background to be confident in putting said detail in the story.

Like right now I'm working on a story involving a character that's in theatre, specifically Broadway. 

And like it was a simple thought of "Oh, this character goes outside after the play and meets with their fans and signs autographs and such." 

Simple.

But then my mind was like "Wait...do actors really do that?"

Because my experience with plays has been with the local theatres, where the cast will hang out outside the auditorium's doors to meet their fans and wave goodbye as the audience leaves for the night. 
But like I haven't seen much interaction beyond. "Oh hey! I loved you in the play! Great job!" etc. 
(Probably because I was too shy to say anything nor pay attention as I was leaving.) 

So like Broadway....would the actors come out and say hi? Do they do the same thing the local theatres do? Or is there a different process? Do they stay in costume? Do they meet outside? 

And suddenly I'm down this rabbit hole of googling random questions and asking online friends in theatre what actually happens after a play because guess what?

Yah, I want to try and be as accurate as I can with this detail that will only last like maybe two pages if I extend out the scene. 

But like...I have to know. Because if that doesn't happen in real life...then it won't be believable and I would need to change the scene a bit in order to make it believable...

And I'm suddenly realizing why it takes me so freaking long to write a single page. haha. ^^;;

Because of all these random thoughts that pop into my head.
And the sudden need to be accurate with concepts that I only have a vague knowledge about. 
Means I'm spending a lot of time double checking the little details...when I could be writing. 

^^;;
Heh.
Ah well. I don't mind it much. Because even though it's a little detail most of my readers won't really latch onto....the few that will....will hopefully appreciate it when they see it. ^^;; 

Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment