Monday, June 11, 2018

An Almost Absence

I nearly called in sick today for work. 

Like it's probably the closest I've come to actually really doing it. 

I turned off my normal alarms.
Set one for a specific time for me to 'wake up to' even though I hadn't really slept last night.
And when it went off I was going to call the manager and be like "Hey, I can't come in because I have a migraine so bad it's making me nauseous and shaky and such. So I'm calling out." 

Because it was that bad.
Like pretty sure I've hard worse nuclear headaches.
I've gone to work on worse nuclear headaches, ones where I can barely stand up and work because the pain is so bad. (I did leave work early after that one) 

But last night....it was...just bad.
Like I went to bed at 1130ish.
Woke up at 2ish.
And the pain was still there.
The headache was still pounding away.
Around 3ish I got up and took a shower to have the heat pound into my skin.
At 330ish I jumped back into the shower to again try my luck.
My stomach was twisting and turning to the point where I dared not move so I wouldn't upset it.
But like I was both too hot. And too cold. Shaking so hard.

And yah....I was like "Oh no, I can't go to work on this." 
At 5 something I made the plan.
I would call into work.
I would call out.
I would just sleep the day away and hope the headache would just vanish if I could fall asleep. 

I had it all planned out.
I just needed to wait for the manager to get to the store before I could call the store.
Which meant that he should show up at 6.
But if people were late to work then he wouldn't be able to come in until the others showed up.
So I would give it an extra five minutes before I called out. 

And I really hoped that the manager would answer.
That they phones would be working.
Because I didn't want 630 when I was scheduled to come in to come and go and have them be like "Where's Sarnic?!" because I couldn't reach them. 

And of course there was the guilt.
Because like...it's never fun to come into work on a Monday Morning and find someone calling out.
But like...they'd be understanding for me right?
Because I never call out sick. 
So if I'm calling out sick then it must be serious.

But because there's been a lot of coworkers calling out sick recently, I'd heard that they started requiring doctors notes and such.
So like what if they needed one.
I didn't want to go to a doctor!

And then I remembered....
It was Monday.
And for like the past month of Mondays....
I've been the only one scheduled to open in my department for like my entire shift. 

So if I called out....
There would be no one there to open.
And who knew when they'd be able to bring someone in.
No one would be in a couple of hours later to pick up the slack because I was scheduled alone.
So maybe I call out a couple of hours and go in a little later?
So I can still do the work? Still get the department open but not as quick. 

Like I didn't want my department to suffer because I couldn't come into work. 

And at like 5:55amish
I cautiously sat up in bed.
Just testing to see how I felt sitting up.
Which I wasn't feeling as bad as I had like 20 minutes ago. 
So I got up to get ready for work -like bare minimum get ready for work. 
And was still alright.
Headache wasn't as bad. 
It wasn't good but I've had worse headaches.

Sooo I went to work.
And thankfully didn't have to interact with people much.
Because I did not have the energy to do so.
I still had the headache.
the radio would make me wince if someone spoke too loud and suddenly. 

But I survived.
I got work done.
I did the things. 

lol though when I told my manager I was like on day 3 of my migraine he gave me this look of disbelief.
Like "How do you do that?!" 
"Why do you get so many?!"

Cus I'm stubborn. That's how I go to work on headaches. Because I'm stubborn and loyal and don't want to let people down.

Why do I get so many? Because I get tense and the tension causes most of the headaches. 
"So don't be tense!"
Ha. Easier said than done. *shakes head*

But yah.
I didn't call into work.
I survived. 
Hopefully this headache will be gone in the morning so I don't have to go to work twice in a row with the aching behind my eyes. 
But we'll see. 

Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment