Saturday, June 16, 2018

Those Rings

I went to a Gem Faire today.
Which isn't a surprising occurrence as they come to town every four months or so. 
So like....going to go check out the rocks is something that happens for me quite frequently.

However.
I'm not always able to make it to the gem faire that takes place in the summer. Particularly in June as that's when a lot of my family vacations take place. So like...I don't actually remember going to a June one before.

To also make things slightly more different.
I went on a Saturday instead of Friday like I normally do.

….people are weird on Saturdays.
The whole thing was weird.
Whether if it was just a Saturday weirdness.
The fact that I was there towards closing time instead of opening.
Or that it's just a June weirdness that I haven't noticed before....

It was weird today at the Gem Faire. 

Within thirty seconds of entering the floor to see all the shiny jewelry, rocks, and beads plus all the other random stuff....

I heard a guy speaking slightly behind me.
Turns out he was talking to me.
He was like "Hey! I know you! I've seen you around all the time back down in Happy Valley haven't I?"

Dude didn't look at all familiar to me. He had one of those faces where....sure I could have possibly seen him. But like...there are a lot of doppelgangers in Happy Valley, so who knows if I actually saw him or saw him recently at that.

But I did live in Happy Valley, and being one valley over from Happy Valley...made it definitely likely that he'd seen me around from there. 

Did I know him though? Nope.
Once he established that he did know me, the guy proceeded to show me a ring he'd just bought for himself.
A nice silver one with some sort of green stone within it.
And I was like Ooooo
Because you know, I like shiny things, especially if rocks are involved in said shiny things.

And then he was like "It's a poison ring!!"

-Meaning it's one of those rings with a secret compartment where you can hide poison and such.

Which me being me....and having read/seen a lot of fantasy/mystery/and history....
It made me want to take a couple of steps back.
because >.> Did it have poison in it now?!?! 
(probably not, but you never know) 

He then told me that the stone in the ring was like his favorite stone or his birth month stone and then proceeded to say "Well I gotta go! Cya later! Bye!" 
And he left just like that. 

*shakes head* 

I thought it was weird.
Though I usually find it weird when people want to approach me outside of work.
Because I'm never expecting people to do so. 
It just doesn't really happen.

In any case.
I continue to wander around the different booths. 
Have a couple of the owners try to start up conversations with me, but I was on a time crunch and didn't want to get into chitchat when I wasn't interested in jewelry. 

But I'd paused to look at another booth.
When this other person came up close to me.
Me being me, I automatically try to move out the way so that I don't block people and they don't run into me. 
But this person moved with me.
So I looked up, mostly in the "okay why are you being so close to me, do I know you or something?' sort of thing.

And there's this woman there. 
Smiling at me. 
And she's like "Hi, I know this is going to be a little weird."

It was already weird. Since she'd been standing next to me not saying anything until I looked up. 

-I think she was trying to see my hands. 

Because she said: "My husband and I came here to get this ring appraised"
and she showed me this ring that had a large blue stone in it, with a ring of diamonds around it in kinda a star/sun shape.
Big...not really my style of ring. 

I don't remember if she said what the value was....but apparently it wasn't worth much because her next words were "And we can't get the ring resized because of how it's set, so we're looking to give it away, so I was wondering if it would fit your fingers." And she held it out to me.

So, me being me, I took it. Because I'm curious like that.
And slipped it on.
It fit...ish, but was loose. "Is this a size six?" I asked her.
to which she oddly enough seemed unsure of that answer. 
But it probably was because I put it on my middle finger and that finger usually is a size five.
So the fact that it was slightly looser would put it at a 5 1/2 or a 6. 

So I was like "Oh, this is too big for me too, I usually wear size 4 or 5 on my fingers." And I gave it back to her.

I don't know if she was disappointed or not. 
The conversation ended pretty quickly after I returned the ring to her. A comment on that 'yah your hands are rather tiny' and such....

and then she vanished into the crowd with her ring.

….I wonder if she ever found anyone to give it to.
Or if she was singling me out in particular.

But in retrospect.
It was kinda weird.
To have a random person approach and ask if you want a free ring.

Honestly, one of my thoughts as I took the ring was "I wonder if it's cursed."

Because people don't usually give away nice looking rings (unless it's like...fake costume jewelry?) 
So there has to be a reason why they would just...not ask for anything.
Why give away a ring.
Why not try and sell it.
Get some money out of it?

It's suspicious.
So I'm like...did I just avoid getting a cursed ring?

Who knows. *shakes head*
I probably never will.

But definitely was a weird day at the gem faire. lol.
Didn't mean I didn't walk away with more rocks though!!!
Yay Rocks!! :D 

Until you next see these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment