Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Working the System

It was the end of my shift.
I was technically off, but hadn't clocked out yet because I was waiting for a coworker to get back from their break first before I left so that work would have the optimal coverage....even though the store was like....completely dead at that point. 

But I was standing near the front, when a woman walked into the store. 

And she makes a beeline straight for me and holds out a leash in her hands.
It's one of those retractable leashes. Pink in color. With part of the retractable leash wrapped around the handle/holder part. 

And the thing looked ancient.
Like it was worn, beat up, dirty and the pink was definitely very faded. 
It looked like crap really. It had had a hard life.

The woman? 
She was like "I've had this under a year and it's no longer working!" 

O.o
Lady....that thing does not look like it's under a year old, more like two or three, soo like...unless you've used it hard and left it out in the yard in harsh weather for days on end.....*shakes head* It was hard to believe that it was 'under a year' but...whatever.

But the woman...she didn't really give me more than that. "This is no longer working and I've had it under a year." 

I could guess she wanted to return it.
Though I was hoping she wanted to just buy a new one. 

Yet she hadn't clarified. So I was like... "Sooo what do you want me to do to help you?" 

"I want you to take care of it!" Was her response. 
*mentally rolls eyes* 

"Well. We only have a 60 day guarantee/return policy in the store." I told her. And she'd told me it was nearly a year old. Therefore, outside of the policy. But I told her "Maybe the manufacturer has a longer guarantee on your product." 

Obviously she was less than pleased.
"Last time you guys just took care of it! This has been an ongoing problem you know!" 

O.o 
Ongoing?
Like you've had multiple occurrences of the leash failing in under a year? 

-Honestly I was thinking she was crazy for wanting us to return a product that was so beat up/worn/and obviously used. I mean....it's not like the old days when things were made to last. There are a ton of products that aren't designed to last forever. And retractable leashes? I could totally see that being one. I could see the gizmo that retracts the leash breaking easily if a) too much strain is put on it or b) you use it hard. Like constantly having the dog on the leash or something.

But like...if this is an ongoing issue...why not buy a different leash? A different brand, or maybe a non retractable one? 

Still.
Trying to be helpful I was like "Okay....so do you have the receipt?" 
Negative.
"Well...we need the receipt to have proof of purchase." 
-Like we can look them up, but after a certain time frame....we can no longer access old receipts. 
So I was like "How old is the leash? You said under a year but is that like six months, nine months, or three months?" 
She wasn't sure.
Which again...makes it difficult to help her.
So I ended up with "Well, let me go check in with the manager and see what they say."

But yah.
She wasn't happy. 
I told the manager the situation and he was like. O.o "If it was in new condition and broken, possibly, but with it so old/beatup/worn....I can't return it." 

He ended up going over to talk to her so that I could clock out.
So I don't know the end result...if the woman got the exchange she wanted, or if she had to buy a new leash or what.

I'm hoping she had to buy it.
Because it's just stupid to expect a store to replace a product that's obviously been well used. Like within two months? I could totally see it being fine to return something if it broke.
But after almost a year?
Ha. No, you got your money's worth out of it. The style of retractable leash she had wasn't that expensive, and she's obviously used it a lot. So like....bite the bullet lady. You used the leash and it broke. Go buy a new one. Things don't last as long as they used to. 

*shakes head* 
Maybe next time at least she'll keep the receipt...
Because I get that our store wants to make the customer happy and they've been working hard to try and keep customers happy....like us having to help customers when they wander into our store even when we're not yet open.
But there are limits to how much we can help someone out.

Until you next see these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment