Wednesday, July 11, 2018

The Tip

I never wanted to be a waitress. 
It seems like a hard thankless job really.

My one attempt at it in a Jr. High Home Economics class quickly convinced me that I probably wouldn't be the best at it....at least for the first week or so lol. 
Because like...that one experience I forgot to ask drinks and details on what people wanted on their food etc.

So like...I never wanted to be one. 
Especially with the knowledge that a lot of your income is (was?) reliant on tip money.

And it would probably be extremely frustrating to work hard to please a customer...only to find no tip at the end of their stay. 

*shakes head*

In any case...
The waiter in this particular experience....seemed to be having a rough day. He just didn't seem present at the job really. After ordering our food....we barely saw him.
It was someone else who came and brought out the meal when it was ready. 
It was someone else who checked in to make sure we were doing alright and enjoying the food.

I feel like we didn't see the waiter for like...twenty minutes? Which is rather long when the place wasn't that busy. 

So I had to wonder....if there was something going on with him. 

It seemed like an off day for sure.
Though the food itself and the company was great. 

Yet.
When it came time to pay....
The dude forgot to give us the coin part of the change when he handed back the difference in what the bill said and what cash was given to him.  

Which it literally was pocket change, and a very easy mistake to make if one isn't totally focused on the job. 

But it was enough that some of the company was like "Why should we leave him a tip? He already took the change, therefore that can be his tip." 

Yet...I couldn't....leave it like that.
Because seriously. The dude hadn't done the best job in the world by any means. But he'd been friendly when we'd seen him, got our orders right. And hadn't constantly interrupted us. So like...why not give him a tip?

So I ended up leaving him one on the table. Taking initiative. 
Because if I can help brighten a bad day just a little bit....why not do it? 

Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment