Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Brake Replacement

So I drove up North today to get my brakes replaced.
As I'd been told when I went to a different mechanic's shop to get an oil change...that my brakes....well I wouldn't need to get them replaced the next day, but they would need to be replaced 'soon.'

When I asked for clarification on how 'soon' soon was they said within the month.

Okay.
Probably a good idea to get those replaced then lol. 
As I can't honestly remember if they've ever been replaced before.

I'm assuming so. 
Though since I can't recall when that was exactly...it's probably been a while. Years....maybe not since I was in college?

In any case.
I decided to make a day trip up north to the local mechanic there that we usually take our cars to for more 'pricey' repairs.

Which I did.
Though the place was rather busy when I dropped off my car.
So they didn't get a chance to see it until like...five hours later. *exhales*
At least there were things to do in the area so I wasn't stuck waiting in the waiting room for hours on end. 
Nope I spent most of the time at the book store.

Lol in any case.

The dude finally calls to tell me that they've looked at my car and is giving me an estimate on how much everything is going to cost.

And he tells me that it's not just the brake pads that need to be replaced.
But the rotors are basically shot as well. 

He got quiet for a second and was like "I'm not sure....but these might be the original rotors on the car" 

Which considering the car is like 19 years old.

Yah...that's probably crazy lol.
Especially since google tells me that they're usually only good for about 70,000 miles at most...
And my car has around 120k miles on it. 

So it's probably really impressive that I haven't needed to get them replaced before now.

But at the same time, for most of my car's life it's been used as a little 'around town' car.
Honestly I think it's only left the state like....once? Maybe twice?
Growing up we just used it to travel about locally.
(Hence why the miles are lower than normal too for a car that old) 

It's only been in the last few years that the miles have had a sharp increase.

Lol and while I like to speed a bit.
I'm not that crazy with the brakes.

So I could forsee that the rotors could last a while longer than expected.
Because they weren't used as aggressively as the could have been.

Still.
Kinda crazy to think that the rotors could have been the original ones.
I mean it is a 19 year old car.
It's old in car years. 

In any case.

I now understand a lot better the term "tap the brake" lol because with the brakes replaced....the car responds a lot faster than I'm used to when I step on the brakes. 
Like I don't need to push my foot down as far.
So that's kinda crazy.

Also makes me wonder how much longer the brakes could have lasted. :S 
I mean....they were squeaking a bit recently but I was attributing that to the warmer weather, as they do that on occasion.

But still...
Glad they're all fixed and I have quicker brake power now lol. ^^;; 

Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment