Thursday, May 9, 2019

Skinny Skinny

It was a rough day at the pet store.

It started out normal enough, with the normal 'morning drama' of trying to figure out what my closing coworkers were thinking and why they did certain things etc.

But then.
Our small animal shipment showed up.

Which is normal.
What wasn't normal was that we finally got some Skinny Pigs in.
-It only takes them like 2 months every single time to get them to us once we sell our others. *shakes head*

In any case.
They actually sent us 4 skinny pigs like they said they would.

Only.
When we opened the second box.
The last guinea pig?

Oh. 
It was...
It was...
Like they're called Skinny Pigs because they only have fur on their noses and their feet.

But this hairless guinea pig?
Poor thing was literally skin and bones.

I honestly don't know how it passed inspections and such to be sent to us.
Because it was skin and bones.
Very cold to the touch -Which is not normal because Skinny Pigs radiate heat like crazy.
And this little one....was cold. :S 

Honestly,  I wouldn't have accepted him.
But work has this policy that we accept all animals... and if they're not looking good we isolate them in our sick room and try to get them better.

Which is what I did with this poor Skinny.

But we took extra measures -after checking in with the manager-
Where we put him in a 10 gallon tank and grabbed one of the reptile heating mats off the shelf.
Because the main concern was that he was cold.
-Not to mention very skinny.
But cold is hard on a hairless creature.
So we grabbed the heat mat to try and warm him up.

I also made sure to syringe feed him some water and a bit of water/food mash I created.

Basically.
I did what I could to make sure that the poor skinny would be okay.
-As our small pet vet wasn't in today.

Unfortunately....

It wasn't enough. :( 

Poor thing was too far gone.
And despite everything.
six hours after the Skinny arrived in the store....
He passed away. Y_Y 

*exhales*
You can't save them all.
But I do wish that I could.

Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment