Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Stepping Down

So I was told today by my head manager that the manager over me is going to be stepping down.

Which I'm not that surprised over because the Saturday before this recent one, my manager said over the radio that they were going to 'accept the offer' my head manager had apparently offered them.

Which if head manager is offering something to another manager...
That usually means that there's potentially a job position involved somewhere. 

Usually it's stepping up though.
Not stepping down. 

Why is my manager stepping down?

I think it's mostly stress related.
Not quite with the job itself.
But more stress in various issues in their personal life. 

And they're still going to be a manager.
Just a different one that has less responsibility in the store and isn't involved with tasks in my department.

Which I think is good for them.

Because this manager...I think is more of a follower than a leader. 

Which meant that I ended up taking a lot of the responsibility for the department....

Though honestly I've basically been taking full ownership of the department for like at least five years now because most of the managers never last longer than 3-6 months in this position.

I honestly don't know how long my manager lasted.
Because they've been in the store for multiple years.
But I don't recall when they switched to being my manager.
Possibly it's been at least 6 months, maybe almost a year....

I honestly don't know.

But like I said.
I'm not surprised that they stepped down.
Because no one lasts long in it.
It basically has the highest turnover rate. 

In any case.

I wish I'd been told a bit earlier.

As it's kinda sudden to be told 'oh hey your manager won't be your manager tomorrow.' 

*exhales*
Like...more of a heads up would be nice.

Like I don't know what people's obsession over not talking about job changes is.
But I really don't like being blindsided like this. 

However,
The Head Manager did confide in me that they have done multiple interviews with many people over the past couple of weeks.

But the Head Manager has been keeping in mind how the people would potentially work with the others managers in the store and how they would work with me.

Which is interesting because like...I'm pretty easy going. So I can and have worked with a variety of different people....

In any case.

One of the people that the Head Manager is considering is the newest manager in our store.
So my manager and this manager would basically be switching positions of Head Manager chooses to promote them to being head over my department.

The bad news is....this is the manager that gets on my nerves the most.
Because they can be just as paranoid about the health of the animals in the store as my paranoid coworker was. 
Making a big deal out of things that I wouldn't see as an issue.

There's other aspects to their personality that also gets under my skin.

-Though truthfully if I work with any of my coworkers, including managers too many days in a row they get on my nerves anyways.

But yah.
Apparently I wasn't hiding the fact this manager and I had a bit of a bumpy start.
Because Head Manager was aware that we didn't quite...mesh well.

*exhales*
So on the one hand I'm not looking forward to this manager potentially becoming the manager over me because they do tend to just...get on my nerves quickly.

On the other hand.
This manager is also more likely to take action. So I can see them stepping up and taking charge of the department which would allow me to step back a bit from basically doing the manager's job. 

*exhales*

Yah....
We'll see how it goes.
The Head Manager is going to be making a decision either today or tomorrow. 
So like...I'll know soon enough.

I'm guessing it will be this manager that gets the position as it seems like they're the one who has the best qualifications/meshing ability.

Honestly though.
I can work with a variety of people.
I'm easy going.
I can figure out how to mesh with people so that things run smoothly.

Besides......

It's not like the managers over me ever stick around for long anyways.

Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment