Saturday, February 22, 2020

The Peacemaker

Hamsters have to be one of the most unpredictable animals in the store.
*shakes head*
Seriously. You never know when one will decide that his buddy is now an enemy and needs to die.
They could be fine for days or months at a time.
And the suddenly you come in one morning to one half eaten. Like :S :S :S 
Hamsters are so unpredictable like that.

So.
We had three winter whites in a cage right?

There had been four in there, but I realized one was getting rather skinny compared to his buddies so I pulled him out to isolate him and make sure he was getting to a healthy weight.

So these three hamsters seemed to be doing just fine.
I mean.
There were moments when they'd have their squabbles. But it wasn't anything out of the ordinary as I would double check to make sure the squabbling wasn't aggressive.

But apparently while I was on lunch (because things always go wrong when I'm on lunch apparently) 

We had a customer come into the store wanting to buy one of the winter whites.
No big deal right?

Wrong.
Apparently the winter white they'd chosen...was like the peacemaker between the other two hamsters.

Because from what I've been told. 

Almost as soon as the third hamster was out and in it's box....

One of the two remaining hamsters decided that he had enough of the other hamster.
And attacked him.

I'm guessing it happened after my coworker who originally helped them had walked away.
As when i got back one of the managers was rescuing the hamster from the cage, apologizing for the wait in not being able to come right away. :S

Apparently the customers were quite traumatized?
Which I could understand.
If you're just standing there helpless, watching one hamster brutally attacking another one.

Thankfully we got to the hamster in time.
As while the hamster was quite bloody...it looked like everything was mostly surface wounds.
Bites to the face and to the paws and maybe a bit to the stomach.

It was rather hard to tell as the hamster was being difficult in letting us clean the blood off.
But I'm hopeful that he'll make a full recovery.

Still. I do feel bad for the customers who witnessed it.
But like...it's not a common occurrence.
I mean....I don't think we've ever had a hamster attack another just like that. So quick. So violent. Most the time it happens overnight when we're not there to check the cages.
So yah. It was weird.
It's been a weird week in relation to all our animals. Like so many issues happening out of the blue. *shakes head* 

Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment