Friday, October 2, 2020

Black Widows

Had a slightly unpleasant surprise when I opened up the front door this morning.

A black widow was lurking against the frame between the main door and the screen door.

Not the best of places to choose to hang out for sure.

Especially when I'm well aware that my roommates don't like spiders.

And the venomous ones that can actually hurt humans...even less so. 

Luckily for the spider, I was the one to find the widow. 

And after writing a story in relation to black widows...I'm less inclined to kill them.

Though I'm usually less inclined to kill anything really. 

In any case. Instead of squishing it or spraying it with poison I carefully caught the creature in a jar and took it outside to our back fence and tossed it into the tall grass on the hill back there.

Where hopefully it will be able to find a lot of insects to satisfy it as apparently the dead tree that is back there has a ton of bugs. 

And I figured that would be the last I'd see of such spiders.

Not so much.

I'm guessing it's that time of year where the black widows come out.

Not sure if it's just weather or halloween or they're looking for a place to lay eggs.

But my roomies found another black widow in the garage this evening.

Pretty sure it's not the same widow I'd caught earlier, because if it was that creature made quite the journey from beyond the backyard up to the front yard.

Unluckily for that spider...because my roomies found it....that one did get killed by them as my roomies weren't inclined to let it live. *exhales* Poor thing.

Hopefully two black widows are all that we'll encounter for this year.

But who knows for sure.

I mean, I know they've been lurking about as when we were working on the deck last month I was told that my roomie's mom had seen a couple of black widows in the wood pile left over from taking the old deck down.

So it wouldn't surprise me if there are more around.

Though hopefully they're smart enough to stay away from the house....

We'll see.

Until you next see these words;
I'll be watching the leaves. 
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment