Monday, October 26, 2020

Wildlife

So this morning I had a customer come into the store and tell me that we had a dead bat outside.

Which...that's rather random, though my head manager wasn't too surprised to hear the news as apparently we have a colony living behind one of our store signs on the side of the building...so yah fun times.

In any case. I went out to investigate and sure enough there was a dead bat on the ground.

It looked like a baby, only around 5 inches long or so. And with how cold it got last night...I'm guessing it might have died from said cold. 

And I couldn't just leave a dead wild animal in front of our store.

So on the direction of my head manager, I pulled on some gloves, got some papertowels and a fish bag and wrapped the bat in said papertowels before placing it in the fish bag and taking it over to our vet as they have a freezer in the back where they keep dead animals.

And me being the helpful person I am, I made sure to tell the people that I was bringing in a dead bat that was found outside.

I didn't think it would be such a big deal.

But certain workers heard about it and like...freaked out?

Insisting that I double bag it and write in big letters DEAD WILDLIFE BAT on the bag and then put it in a box and like...they called wildlife officials and such because they're not sure their usual dude who takes care of the dead animals could take care of the dead bat and yah....

It was a nightmare and a half having to deal with that paranoid frentic energy. *exhales*

And like I can see where they're coming from in the fact that bats can carry rabies and apparently in the next valley over there had been a confirmation with a bat with rabies and they wanted to make sure that the bat that was outside hadn't died from rabies...

And I'm like...guys...it looks like a baby. It probably FROZE to death last night because it got COLD. I highly doubt it's rabies.

And like I wore gloves. I have the bat wrapped up. I didn't touch it directly.

So I'm pretty sure there's nothing to fear. *shakes head*

But yah...that whirlpool of chaos was not fun to deal with. 

Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment