Saturday, April 13, 2019

WoodWorking

I did a bit of woodworking today.
As my Aunt showed me how to fix a handle to the knife I made with my uncle a couple of days ago. 
We picked out the wood.
Got a general shape etched out with marker, drilled the pin holes so that we could fix the wood to the blade.

But not right away.

First the goal was to shape the wood as much as we could before affixing it to the blade.
As it's much harder to sand something with a bit of metal between it. 

So I used a sandbelt to shape the major areas of the wood before we used apoxy to affix the wood in place with the pins.
Then we sanded the wood down so the metal was flush with it, rounded it a bit so I could make it feel comfortable in my hand, and then we did the finer sanding to smooth out the bite marks of the first sanding and to make the wood 'soft' and smooth. 

Then, a little bit of oil to shine up the wood....

And the knife is practically done!

Just need to wait for the oil to dry, and then polish and sharpen the blade of the knife.

And it will be completed. :D

So excited.
So very excited!!

Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment