Monday, March 16, 2020

Authorized

I had a bit of an adventure yesterday.

In that Kikay asked me if I could go to the Best Buy and pick up a router for her.
As they'd ordered it online to be picked up at the store...but because she and her husband just returned from out of the country...they're being safe and sticking around their house for the next couple of weeks just to be safe.

But that means that they need to have internet access in order to work from home....
And because they just bought the home and basically had enough time to move everything into said house, but not unpack it, before going off on their honeymoon....they didn't have time to set up the wifi before that point....and now didn't want to risk leaving the house even though they're showing no symptoms currently.

So.
I came to the rescue to go get them the router they ordered so that they would be able to work from home--as using their cellphones as a hotspot...wasn't working as well as they'd hoped. 

However.
The interesting thing about Best Buy's online pick up order service....is that only the person who has the name on the product can go pick it up. 

So you can't just walk in and claim "I'm here to pick up such and such a thing from John Smith." and they would be like "Okay!" and hand it to you.

Which I suppose makes sense.
After all they sell quite the pricey electronics. So it makes sense to not jet any jane doe that walks into the store claiming to be there for another person come get it.

No the buyer of the item has to authorize their pickerup person as the person to pick it up.

So Kikay's husband had to authorize me to be the one to pick it up.

Only you can't just show them your driver's license and be like "Hi I'm so and so here to pick up a package for so and so"
Nope. They actually do like...a background check to make sure you're a real person --I'm guessing when they scan your I.D.?? And then they can't actually give you the product until the product literally has your name on it.

So I show up to the Best Buy...and they don't have the product ready for me because Kikay's husband put it under his name first and then changed it to my name.
But they hadn't restickered the item to have my name on it just yet.

Which like...*shakes head* It's so silly.
I get the reasoning why.
But like. I'm right there. I have the email providing the pickup number and both my name and Kikay's husband's name and like....I'm right there.
Just give me the package.

luckily.
As I was trying to convince the poor person at the counter to let me have my package...and resigning to having to wait another twenty minutes or so before I could actually get the router I was sent to pick up....another worker passed by carrying the router.
As they'd just renamed it for my name.

Huzzah!!!

The worker at the counter snagged it from their coworker, scanned it through and TADA!!
I had the router!!

Woot!!

*shakes head*
It's kinda crazy how complicated that pick up process is compared to my store.
Of course...we don't really expect random people to want to come in and still random bags of dog food....so it makes sense the process is different for electronics.

But yah.
It was quite the adventure today.

Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment