Tuesday, March 3, 2020

Gasping

So today was unintentionally stressful.

As for the past two weeks I've been patiently waiting for the last weekend of February to pass by.

Not for the reasons you think.
As we've had this female chameleon in the store that was getting rather big.

Big enough that since she hadn't sold yet....we needed to consider adopting her out.
Which was great in one aspect because my brother was lowkey looking for a female chameleon for his male so that he could eventually breed them.

Though as luck would have it...the male ended up dying earlier last week. :( 

 Foo.

In any case.
When the district manager came into the store a couple of weeks ago. 
I asked her if our female chameleon needed to be adopted out. 

After looking at her our DM agreed that she would.
However, the manager wanted us to try selling her at half off first. 
Though to keep the discount on the down low to make sure she would go to a good home. 

But if she didn't sale by the end of February. We could then adopt her out.

Well.
It's the end of February.
And the Chameleon didn't sell.

So that meant we could adopt her out.
Which meant that I could give her to my brother once all the proper forms were filled out. 

When I came into the store today the chameleon was there...however she was in a rather odd position. 
Head raised towards the heat lamp.
I didn't think much of it...it was an odd position but upon opening the cage she moved out of it.

To make sure no one would buy her on the day I was adopting her out...
I moved the chameleon into a different cage. 

And then towards the end of my shift, moved her into a portable tote so I could take her home.

Didn't think much of it. 
She was less active. But I figured that was because she was in a critter tote. 

I took her home. 
Placed her on the table.
Made sure the curtains were open so the sun could shine on her.
Placed a little heat pack by the container so she wouldn't get too cold.

And figured it would all be good. 
However.
When I checked on her like an hour later.

It wasn't all good.

She was laying there with her mouth open. Gasping for breath.

Like she looked like she was nearly dead.

Which was like an !!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHH MOMENT.

So I quickly grabbed her out and got some water into her gaping mouth.
Wondering if I'd accidentally over heated her...though from the light and heat pack....I was pretty sure that wasn't the case.

But I got some water onto the skin. 
Gave her a warm soak.
But like...she just looked worse and worse and worse and worse. 

I placed her back in the tote.
And she was just like...sitting here. Gasping for breath.
Acting like she was going to die any moment.

Like.
I had promised this chameleon to my brother.
He was coming to get her in like an hour.
And here she was on death's doorstep.

Like AHHHHHHHHHHH

My brother ended up video calling me. To see her in person so he could make the call on whether or not he wanted to make the drive down to get her.

As at the point of the call...I was nearly certain she would die within the hour. 

However.
When I pulled her out of the container....she still had a rather strong grip.
She was holding on quite tightly to my fingers. 

Like I could turn her upside down and she would still hold tightly to me. 

Which isn't a 'normal' sign for a dying animal.
Usually they're quite limp or unresponsive.

So the fact that she was holding on.
Was encouraging. 
So my brother made the drive down.
And instead of putting her back in the tote.
I put her on a bird cage that we had as decoration in the house. 
To give her something to cling to.

As she obviously wasn't liking the tote. 

She seemed to do alright clinging to the side of the bird cage.

And when my brother got there....she perked up more as he looked her over.

So perhaps she was just stressed out?
I don't know why she appeared to be almost dying in the critter tote....like it was just a moist paper towel for her to hold onto in there.

*exhales*
But my brother took her home and he says she's doing alright....though it's hard to know for sure.

We'll have to see if she perks up overnight or not.

He's thinking that she may be a bit dehydrated. Or super stressed.

Because while she looks nice and fat and healthy...her eyes are sunken in. 

So hopefully in his nice enclosure he has set up for her....the chameleon will recover, get rehydrated...and hopefully live a long healthy happy life.

....Time will tell....

Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment