Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Essential

So my Dad's into prepping right?
You know. Preparing for the world to go crazy basically.

And growing up he would often talk about careers that will basically never go away in a crisis.
And how you should have a job that is like...critical to society and such.

Mostly I think he was referring to his job as a nurse.
As there will always be people getting sick/injured and needing treatment and people to provide that treatment to them.

But I do think that this pandemic that's going on also shows just which jobs are essential to human society continuing to run.
And which ones aren't necessarily needed. 

I mean.
There are thousands of people working from home right now who don't have to go into an office.
There are thousands of people suddenly without a job for the moment because their businesses have been forced to close down/adjust their schedules to help prevent the spread of the virus.

And then there's the businesses that keep going.

And surprisingly....my job is one of those 'essential retailer' sort of jobs that makes it extremely unlikely that we'll be closing down any time soon. (Unless it gets super bad or something) 

But I suppose it makes sense in a way.

I mean. It's not likely that grocery stores will close down because they need to provide food for people to buy to eat. 

But it looks like pet stores also fall in that essentials category.
As people need to buy food for their pets as well.

It's interesting really.
Because I never thought I would have ended up in a job considered to be 'essential'.
I mean in a way I did because for a long time I wanted to be a Vet or an interpreter and those both are in a way essential and are less likely to need to shut down.

But working in a pet store?
It's weird to think that as all the other stores are changing their hours and having to adjust with each new order and parameters given...
That my store will be okay.
For now.

I mean there's always that slight grain of salt to anything really.

But yah.
For now. I'm not too worried about my position at work....
Though I am side-eyeing all the people coming into my job who aren't there to get food for their pets. Like...yes under normal circumstances coming in to buy a new animal or show your kids the fish in the store is normal, expected and a great way to entertain the kids....

But in a pandemic...it is a little weird. 

*fingers crossed* that we can get this all to blow over quickly so that everyone can return to their normal lives.
As I do hate the thought of how all those people who have jobs that currently aren't operating are going to cope with this....

Until you next see these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment