Friday, September 25, 2020

Spreading My Wings

I honestly shouldn't be surprised.

As events usually occur in threes.

And we had just recently lost two of our manager because they were transferred to our sister store to try and help the place get back up into running order as from what I've heard, they basically are starting over clean slate. Everyone who worked in the main part of the store was either transferred or let go. 

Still, I wasn't expecting to lose a third manager right after we had the other two transfer.

Let alone have it be my manager who is leaving. O_o 

Yet so it goes. My manager has put in their two weeks, seeking to go back to school and find a job working more closely with animals with the vet instead. 

It will probably be a good change for them. 

But that leaves another empty slot in the store that needs to be filled.

And unsurprisingly, my head manager approached me to ask if I wanted to take the position. 

Of course, my knee jerk reaction was to say NO.

Because I honestly have no desire to be a manager. Especially the CEL as that position...tends to turn over quickly.

Though I have wondered if the position has only been 'cursed' with a high turnover rate (usually the managers last only 3-6 months) because I have refused for like the last 7 1/2 years to take the position.

Because at least 2-4 times a year I get asked if I want to step up.

And each time I refuse. 

However...

After talking to my current head manager....

I am considering...actually stepping up this time.

Especially after hearing that I'm basically already doing my manager's job. There's only a handful of other things relating to the registers and salon and the forklift that I would need to learn.

And like...knowing that I'm already doing my manager's job...it would probably be nice to be paid as a manager and have that manager title.

Plus like...8 years is a long time to stay in the same position.

Not that it's surprising I've stayed in it so long. I don't like change. And it takes a lot to convince me to take a leap into something new. 

And yet...in the last little while, I've been feeling the need to spread my wings a big.

Especially after seeing how other people are 'progressing' around me in their lives.

It feels like it's time for me to step up. To do something slightly different. 

My head manager also feels quiet confident in my abilities to be a manager lol. Saying that the stress of the job isn't anything too different than what I already handle on a daily basis in my department.

The main things would be that I wouldn't be in my department as often, which would mean I would need to make sure my crew would be able to handle filling the void I would leave. 

It would also mean I'd have to deal more directly with angry customers. And that I would also need to close the store at least once if not twice a week. So evening shifts.

But considering that I survived a couple of months of having to work evening shifts...I know it won't be anything too bad...especially if we ever manage to hire enough people to ensure there's a good closing crew as it feels like everytime we hire someone someone else quits...soo yah that's been a struggle.

The other thing I need to worry about would be my migraines. As they can get bad enough on occasion that I have to leave work...but knowing that they're rare. Knowing that alot of the stress is stress I can already handle...

I'm feeling more serious about accepting the offer this time around.

Still gonna take a day or two to think about it. Talk to some people I trust to get their advice and opinions.

But overall...I kinda have a good feeling about it all. 
I think it's time for me to spread my wings. To step into the manager world.

We'll see how this all goes.... 

*exhales*

I just wish they hadn't told me this or brought it up right before I left on vacation. Because now I'm gonna be thinking about it the entire time and I was trying to get away from the stress of work. 

But with the timing of everything, it is something I need to consider and get an answer back soon because my manager will be gone after only a couple of days of me getting back.

So yah. 

Fun times. Fun stressful times. 

Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment