Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Farewell, Creator of Pern

Dragons.
They're an epic part of the fantasy genre.
Though back in elementary days...I wasn't really aware of them.
I was into mysteries back then, and slowly made my way into fantasy.
but in Jr. High English...I think it was 8th grade.
my teacher, Mrs. Bailey had us read a shot story, about a dragon boy who wanted to get his egg, but due to injuries he missed the hatching. the hatching of a dragon.
I wanted to find out more of that story. Find out what happened!
So I went looking for that story, in a longer version, because it couldn't be just a short version!
(I think the book had excerpts from other books.)


Anyway, there are three sources I found with a similar concept to that book.
One was Jane Yolen with her Pit Dragon trilogy.
The second was Mercedes Lackey's Joust series


and the other, was Anne McCaffrey's Dragon riders of Pern books.


I actually think my Mom brought home a couple of the books from the DI
-because I was into fantasy at that point in time and we went to the DI often. :)
And that's how I was introduced to her...
that or it was the library...I think it was the DI though.
and in one of her books...I think it was the White Dragon.
I finally found the story concept I had read back in English...I don't think it was the same story.
but it had the same awesome concept :D
And I was hooked!


Anne McCaffrey's world of dragons was Awesome!
small dragons, big dragons, riding dragons, conflict with dragons!
COOL!!!
she's remained my favorite source to go back to when I want to read something about dragons.
And though her books are like the redwall books...where they jump back and forth in time and history.
I loved to read them. :)
her books kept the craving of dragons strong in me as I explored (and still am exploring) the different areas of the fantasy genre.


Only....
I found out late last night....that Anne McCaffrey has passed away. Y_Y
She died on November 21st 2011 from a stroke at the age of 85.


and while her son Todd McCaffrey has published books also set in the world of Pern...
I don't think the world will be the same now.


Another great author has passed from our midst.
I only hope that another awesome up and coming writer will appear.
Who will be able to fill the void that Anne McCaffrey filled for so long.


Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!


-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment