Saturday, August 18, 2018

A Simple Answer....Right?

It's pretty normal to teach customers at work.
After all, a lot of people come into the store who've never owned a pet before, or it's been years since they've last had one in their homes.

So, to help their forays into pet keeping go well.
I tend to tell people a lot of information.
And answer a lot of....interesting questions. lol.

Most of said interesting questions come from kids.
"Why are you putting air in the bag?"
"What are you doing?"
"How do you get the crickets there?"
"What's in that cage?" 
"Why are you catching the fish?" 

But occasionally, I end up with adults who...well...they're interesting to work with.

And today was filled with those sort of people.
Adults who had questions or problems that....were difficult to answer if only in their simplicity.

I had a customer ask if we painted our crickets white.
Because I'd dusted our crickets in a calcium powder so that the reptiles I was feeding said crickets to could get more calcium in their diets. 

Like....it's just...weird to think that the customer believed we'd actually paint individual crickets white.
But then Kikay brought up that they used to paint Tetras....soooo I could see why the customer would wonder....

But I had other customers who struggled to comprehend how a light could sit on top of a glass lid. 
I ended up taking that customer over to our display tanks to show them exactly how that worked because they weren't seeing how it could be possible otherwise.

Another complained that their 30inch long light was too long for their 30inch long tank.
Turns out they'd never taken the light they'd bought out of the box, so it was the box that was too long for the tank, because the light has a sort of 'padding' on either side to keep it from being damaged in travel. 

It's just...semi frustrating.
Because I often feel like I expend a lot of energy to try and get the point I'm trying to make across. And I don't always succeed. 
There are many times where I just...can't see how I can explain the concept any differently.
Like...I feel like I'm conveying the information as clearly as possible.
Yet somewhere in between the words leaving my lips and entering the customer's ears to be logged in their mind....there's a disconnect. 

*shakes head*
Needless to say.
I was glad to get off work today. 
I'd had far too many people complicate things that didn't need to be complicated. *exhales*

Until you next see these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment