Saturday, August 25, 2018

A Long Time Coming

So back in like...March? The beginning of the spring.
I signed up for this Big Bang thing.

Where people would agree to write a longer story to be published in August, -originally the length was to be 30k before being dropped down to 15k. So that people could read one big story all at once, instead of it being spaced out chapter wise over days, weeks or even months. 
-As fandom land...people tend to write a chapter and post it.

This Big Bang was to have an entire story posted. So fans of the fandom could read it.

And then as well, there would be artists partnered with the authors who would be able to see the story before the publishing date so that they could create artwork for your story to be released on the same day as the story was published online.
That way fans get both story and art and it's all so amazing. 

lol.
Admittedly I hesitated for like a month to sign up.
I had a concept in my head. An idea I could write...that I was pretty confident would meet the 30k mark (as they didn't drop the wordcount until like halfway in?) 
But it was a matter of....writing the thing.

I'm not the fastest writer ever.
On a good day it would take me like an hour to write a page in a fic I'm working on. 
Plus I can get bogged down with blocks and such, trying to figure out how a story should go.

I didn't want to sign up for something I wouldn't be able to finish. 
And I didn't want to let my assigned artist down either.

So it was a lot of pressure.

Plus I had this other primary writing goal to write at least one story a month. 
Which...I figured I'd find it difficult to write a story back in March/April....and not post it until August. It just...didn't sit well with me to have a story ready and waiting for that long.

Still.
After talking to people and such.
I took the leap and signed up for this Big Bang.

And promptly procrastinated the entire thing. *shakes head* 
Ugh. I knew I would. 
After all I had that first writing project so finishing those short stories would take precedence over the Big Bang....
So I chipped away at this larger fic. Writing only every now and then...
Until like July when I finally finished the fic I needed to post for July.
Which then meant I could focus my whole attention on this 30k fic (I figured my story would still be at least 30k it was a long concept and the min was now 15k so it was fine if I was way over)

But ugh.
Writing.
Writing went so slowly.
I was basically down to the wire.
Writing early into the morning on the day I was to post my story. 
-As we were all assigned specific days to post our stories on. 

But I did it.
I actually DID IT! HA!!!

39k and I got my story finished.
And took like forever and a day to post it onto the site because gah. Formatting and so many chapters.

But the feeling of accomplishment?
AHHHH
I DID IT!
It's the longest fic I've written so far.
And it just feels amazing to get something accomplished.
Get it posted.
Have others reading it. 
Loving it.
Reacting to it.

It's great. ^^;; Lol It made the stress of the entire spring/summer worth it.

Will I do this sort of thing again??
Who knows.
But at least I know that I can do it. XD and that's a great feeling. ^^;; 

Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment