Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Service-Oriented

I had an interview yesterday dealing with the Institute committees -they get new co-chairs every year.
I think it went well....the results could go either way...and I'm fine either way.


Anywho at one point during the interview...
We got talking about my classes there at the Institute.
And one of the interviewers -he's one of my institute teachers.
Commented on how I always come to class prepared with a
simplified hymn book.
That way we can sing to the piano and not just accopella. (i have no idea how to spell that word... basically sing without music..)
Now...I can only play like two hymns fully, but I can top hand most of the hymns.


But the teacher commented on how he didn't notice at first that I always had the book of simplified hymns on me, but then he realized that I did.
-I just keep it in my backpack since I have institute classes everyday and odds are the day I don't bring it...I will be asked to play....so I just bring it so I'm prepared.....plus its not that thick so it doesn't weight down my backpack much.


Anywho he thought it was really cool that I came to class prepared to play the piano to sing the song before class really gets started.


And he asked me "How did you become so service-oriented? Is it your parents? You're upbringing? What?"


And....the question basically stumped me.
Why am I so service oriented?
Because I didn't and don't really consider....bringing a hymn book to play as service.


And a multiple of reasons why went through my head as I sat there trying to think of an answer.


The first reason is.....I actually like to play the piano :) lol. I may not know alot of hymns, but I do enjoy just playing the piano and this gives me a reason to put my fingers on the keys and just go....since here in college...I don't really have a piano to play upon....I don't really get to play...so being able to play the piano at the institute is a bonus for me. :) lol. I like playing....even if I'm not that good at it. :)
(Okay...so I can be good...just the singing throws me off...and then I actually have to play to the 'beat'....yah I'm working on bettering myself on that. Sometimes however I just like to play songs fast :D lol luckily I don't really do it for church songs. :) )
Anywho.
My first real thought was: That's just how I am.....I mean....I didn't really wake up one day and decide "Hey! I'm going to focus on giving service today. It seems like I've always....been this way.
So I think in the end it actually does go to how my parents raised me.
Through example and such....my parents taught/showed me that its better to be considerate and respectful of others then it is to just be "Me me me me me" all the time.
Well...actually I still can be "Me Me Me Me"
But not....all the time.
I think we all have those moments.
But usually....I just do service because I think it makes other people's life easier.
Its not a conscious "I'm doing this to get blessings sort of thing."
I just do it basically with the thought of "How can I make them happier, or make them feel welcome" Things like that.


With Piano service...or any institute service I do in general....
I usually do it because I like it. :) lol. I find it fun to do.
So....while it is service....I never really considered it service because I liked to do it.
I don't usually bemoan the fact that I have to help out.
(there are days I do.....but then....usually I'm not enjoying myself.)


Basically I think I'm 'service orientated" for two reasons.
1. I like doing it.
2. Others benefit from it

Its pretty much that simple.
And just a principal I was taught from my youth.
Its more rewarding to do unto others.
Then to always get for yourself.

.....now if only that answer had been so eloquent when i was asked the question yesterday :) lol.
Oh well ^^;;

Until you next see these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

The Dream

Strangely enough....for most of the night it seemed like I was going over Anatomy terms for the heart. I think I had one of those model figures from my Anatomy Lab in my head and I was just staring at it all night long muttering to myself what everything was.... :)

-S.N.D.

No comments:

Post a Comment