Saturday, December 3, 2011

Rusted Wiggling

It seemed like today....everything was out to get me when I was driving in the car.
A light dusting of snow on the road played havoc with the tires, causing me to fish tail and skid a couple of times.
While trying to turn right on a red, three cars turned left right in front of me...if I hadn't looked up in time...I might have hit one of them. Luckily I hit the breaks quickly enough and the car behind me didn't hit me. :)
Then...while exiting a parking lot another car almost ran into mine. I had the right of way, they were cutting through an open space in the parking lot stalls between cars so I didn't see them til they almost hit me.
Phew...
It was a dangerous day to be on the road...I think alot of people were going shopping too...which made it that much more dangerous.
But then..I wonder if it was a warning of some kind. All these near hit things.
Because a couple of hours ago.
I had gone to pick up some friends of Kikay -Kikay was with me.
We were all laughing and giggling in the car.
When I heard this odd noise.
Like something catching on something else.
It seemed to only happen when I hit the breaks.
I didn't think anything of it the first time.
But it kept happening.
So I turned off the heat and the music so that I could hear better.
Yep. There was a racket. Coming from the front of the car. :S
We stopped on the side of the road and Kikay got out to listen and pinpoint the noise.
I would drive forward a bit then stop when she told me to.
Yep there was a noise.
But it was dark so we couldn't really see...
So Kikay had the brilliant idea to look for a flashlight in the first aid kit we carried in the back of the car.
-We got the first aid kit a while back...I think in the spring for the car for college.
And that thing is packed with handy stuff we discovered.
Included was a flashlight. But also batteries for the flashlight. Duct tape, a screw driver.
We only found the flashlight first. and when I say we I mean Kikay.
She got it all put together and ducked under the car to see...
a plate sized piece of metal hanging down from our car.
It was all holey and such. and it would drag on the ground when we hit bumps and such causing that racket.
Deciding the road wasn't the best place to investigate the car...we figured we'd continue on in our destination to the friend's Ward Christmas party. (it was half a block away so I put on the caution lights and drove onward)
There, Kikay dove under again.
Just as another car pulled up next to ours.
And these nice men came out to see what was the problem, and they had duck tape. :)
(we didn't know our first aid kit had duck tape at the time -turns out it was also part 'car repair' kit as well lol)
One of the young men shimmied under the car to duck tape the thing back on....
while I called Daddoo to see what his opinion was.
First...get the duck tape off if the metal gets hot. Duck tape would just melt and burn.
Odd...I thought duck tape could fix everything....apparently heat is its downfall :P lol..
Yah...it turns out it was the case covering the...exhaust thingymababber tank thingamajig. Needless to say...it wasn't important enough that it needed to stay on.
But we couldn't really drag it around.
And 3/4s of the thing were already unscrewed.
...When I say unscrewed I mean that three out of the four nails/screws holes were rusted through.
Meaning...that where there should have been a nice hole...there was just a nice crescent moon shape instead where the nail was supposed to be.
Yah...our car is old for it to be rusted.
Kikay and I were trying to figure out how long we've had this car.
And we've decided we've had it since elementary school.
Since I was still in gymnastics when we got this car.
And that was in elementary school. And Kikay said she was in 4th grade for sure when we had it.
Meaning...its an old car. It would make sense that it was rusted.
In fact this metal thing that covered this other thing was so rusted that....
With a bit of wiggling.
Since the nail/screw thing would need a wrench instead of a screw driver to undo if it would undo since the thing was so rusted.
Well rusting + wiggling = breakage.
Yep we just broke the cover off the rest since it was so rusted anyway.
Problem solved!
Yay! :D lol.
For now....we can't go off roading anytime soon because we don't want to damage the thingy that the cover was protecting. But no more noise!
We'll get the car checked out when we head home for Christmas Break.
Until then...we'll have to be careful. :)

Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

The Dream

I was in the library with a bunch of friends. And the staff....was...well understaffed, so I offered to help and my friends joined me. I grabbed a cart and went upstairs to the young adult/children's section to shelve the books. Only...the books were weirdly ordered, or I was understanding the sequencing thing wrong...which I didn't think I was, I had watched after all, how the process was done.
I got distracted for some reason I can't remember and did stuff...
Only to come back to that cart to finish my quota of the day. :( I found nobody had done my job for me in my absence, which made me kinda sad because I was doing some serious multitasking to get things done. So I went back to trying to shelf the books.

Then the unholy tones of daylight pulled me away....
and I became myself again. :)

-S.N.D

No comments:

Post a Comment