Thursday, December 1, 2011

Pine Trees a Falling

I feel like someone could write a 12 days of Christmas song about today. So I'm going to! :D

On the first day of December the winter winds gave to me:

12 semis rolling
11 signs a missing
10 powerlines snapping
9 windows breaking
8 pine trees toppled
7 fences dropping
6 stop lights falling
5 people fall
4 shingles less
3 letters lost
2 mailboxes gone
and a trampoline on the house.

Hey its not perfect. :) but it works right? ;)

In case you are wondering about this song....My hometown valley had hurricane force winds today.

Its odd to say hurricane force winds...just because I live in the mountains....far far far away from the ocean.
But winds were clocked to be 92-102 mph. Its hard to comprehend the winds moving that fast.
Needless to say....there was alot of damage.

Semi's were toppled over all over the freeway I hear.
Signs were destroyed, debris everywhere, lots of stuff where its not supposed to be...
Tons of people are without power due to power lines being blown over.
And trees.
All the poor tress. Y_Y
Blown over.

Most of the trees were pine trees.
Yep. Pine.
They're rather popular around our valley.
But that's not always good.
Because the pine trees are shallow rooted.
Which means that they often don't stand a chance in wind storms.
:( It was so sad to see images of all those bright green ever greens.
Toppled.
Waiting to be made into firewood.
No longer standing tall and proud on the horizon. :(

And while I say that my hometown valley is reeling from the destruction the winds have caused.
My hometown...was fine.
It was like a narrow corridor received full blast of the wind.
I was told that you could be standing at one point and only feel a slight breeze.
Then if you moved over like three feet.
It was hurricane force winds strong enough to knock a person over.
So my city received just a light breeze, but at the boundary line to the city next to us. (its overgrown with houses and such so the whole valley looks like one big city instead of like 5 small ones)
There was wind going crazy.

I'm sad that I missed the destruction, for I'm curious to see what it looks like up there and by the time I get back up for Christmas....everything will be cleared away. :(

But I'm glad to hear that everyone I know is safe up there, even if they are without power.
I hope we don't get another windstorm that strong for a long time.
They're very destructive.

Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment