Wednesday, December 18, 2019

A Leak?

I don't know how well known of a fact this is. 
But I get more irritated and frazzled when I'm trying to accomplish a task...and then I keep getting delayed in completing the task because I keep getting pulled away from it. *exhales*

Today was one of those days.
Where the day started out in control...and then slowly spiraled out of control. 

It was towards the end of my shift, as I was frantically trying to at least finish cleaning the cages I was supposed to be cleaning before I was off. As I knew I couldn't get all the decorations back into the cages. Not in ten minutes. 

Which is frustrating.
When I know I can get the bedding change done by basically lunchtime....if I'm not interrupted.

And interrupted I was. Constantly. 

In any case.

As I was frantically trying to finish cleaning cages.

My coworker and manager were messing around with the aquatic plant tank.
Coworker trying to organize it so that manager could count all the plants and make sure our inventory was accurate.

Which is hard because there's two new plants in there that look very similar to each other. 
And I haven't yet managed to be there when we get the plants in so I have no idea how to tell which one from the other one because I've yet to see them come in labeled.

I'd just finished telling them twice over the radio that I didn't know how to tell the difference between those plants.

When my manager came over the radio yet again, but this time they were asking for me to come over to the tank because it was experiencing a 'critical failure' aka it's leaking.

O_o???
A critical failure?
For tanks that have been there probably longer than I've been alive? 
Doubtful. 
But I came over to investigate.

And sure enough.
Underneath the tank, dripping onto the bags of gravel we sell below that tank.
Large droplets of water were indeed falling. 

My coworker, and two of my managers were staring at these dripping drops trying to figure out where on the bottom of the tank the water was coming from. 

I was skeptical it was coming from the bottom as whatever my coworkers had been doing to organize the tank, couldn't be crazy enough to suddenly make it leak.

So I looked to the tank itself and noticed that the water level was high.
Extremely high.
Like overflowing high.

Only no one had noticed that it was overflowing because the water wasn't dripping down the front.
But instead, it was dropping down the side of the tank, in the crack between that tank and the tank next to it.

Hence why they didn't see the problem.

I did though.
Overflowing tank meant that something was blocked.
Aka. The basket was blocked.
Which is the device that protects the hole where the water flows out of the tank and into the pipes behind it to go to our big filter system in the back.

Considering the fact that my coworker had been moving plants around to try and organize them, I'm not surprised little strands got loose and blocked the basket.

So I acted quickly and unscrewed the basket from the tank to allow more water to flow out into the pipes.

And right away, the water levels went down and the leak stopped. 

I cleared the basket. Made sure nothing was blocking the hole. 
And walla.
The tank was back to normal. 

Tada!!

*shakes head*

Sometimes I wonder what my coworkers would do without me there.
Because like....I do wonder how long it would have taken them to realize what the actual issue to the tank was and what solution they would have taken to get the water to stop dripping.

I probably would have run to shut off the system that way water isn't continuing to flow into the tank and we could better isolate the issue.

Thankfully we didn't have to do that.
As the tank is fine. 
So Yay!

Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment