Monday, December 16, 2019

Chubby

So a few weeks ago we had two mice adopted out at our store because a customer pointed out that they were female and that one was pregnant.
And after the manager took the pregnant mouse over to the vet to confirm...indeed adopted out both female mice.

Though truthfully.
I was rather skeptical that the mice were girls let alone pregnant.
Because again, we only carry boys.
And I'm pretty sure all the mice were boys in the store.

But since I wasn't there there's no way to verify really.

However.
Today.
I came into work to discover that one of our hamsters had been isolated.
Why?
Because it was a girl and pregnant.

This discovery was made after I'd left work on Saturday.

So I knew nothing about it until I came into work this morning.

And me.
I was very skeptical.

Like okay.
It does happen on occasion that we do get in females when we only get in males.
But like this occurrence is rare.
Like maybe once a year if not once every other year rare.

So to have two different rodents both turn out to be girls within like a month of each other?

Oh yah.
I was skeptical.

Especially when I pulled open the cage the hamster had been isolated in.
And saw that this particular hamster was one of our 'long term resident' ones. 
Aka. We've had this particular hamster in the store for MONTHS.
Like at least six months I feel like.
Because he was white and the white hamsters don't sell as well.

But I've placed this hamster, along with his buddy, in with multiple other hamsters over the months as they overall do okay being placed with other short haired syrians.

So the likely hood of this hamster being a girl AND pregnant....was rather low. Because like...wouldn't the hamster have already had babies by this point? I mean this hamster has been placed in with a good dozen or so other hamsters over the months and NOT ONCE did babies result in that.

So I carefully picked up the hamster to see it's bottom.

And it looked like a boy.

But to double check.
I looked at another hamster that had been isolated as well for a different reason.
And the bottoms looked exactly the same.

A quick confirmation with a manager.
As well as a google search of how to tell boy and girl hamsters apart.
Confirmed that this hamster was indeed a boy.

*rolls eyes*
He's just a really chubby boy.

So I placed him back on the floor with his buddies because there's no concern about him having babies at all.

But I also ended up printing an image detailing exactly how you can tell the genders apart in boy and girl rodents.

Because I can't afford to have my coworkers all thinking that we're getting in females and adopting them out only to have them later confirmed to be male.

So yah.
That's fun.
And I get to spend the next few days making sure each and every one of my coworkers sees it.

But now that leaves me rather skeptical about the mice that we adopted out. Even more so than i was before.

My guess is they were actually boys.

But we probably won't know unless the guy who adopted them comes back to confirm that they're boys.

At least I managed to confirm the hamster was a boy before it got adopted or something.

Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi


No comments:

Post a Comment