Friday, December 27, 2019

Babies!

So earlier in the week. Like the Friday or Saturday before the Christmas madness.

We ended up having these two large orandas come in our fish shipment.
Which isn't surprising since we have a tank specifically for the selling of said fish.

And when I worked that Saturday I'd noticed that the Orandas were hanging out rather close to each other and that there were these white dots around them.

Which I was like "maybe those are eggs." but with how many customers there were that day, I didn't think much more on it.

Besides being kinda sad when I came in for my next shift and saw that both of them were gone. 
Which yay we sold them!! Because we don't usually sell the larger Orandas as quickly because they're like $33 each. 

But woot anyways!

However.
This morning.
I happened to look in the empty tank.
And saw movement there.
Tiny little movements.

FRY!!

The goldfish eggs had hatched and there were like a gazillion baby fish swimming around the tank.

!!!!

I mean, I've seen baby goldfish fry before.
As one time a goldfish came into our store with a bunch of baby fish already in with it. 

But that was years ago.

I haven't really seen them since. 

So I was beyond excited to see the little fry swimming around.
As I love Oranda goldfish and I would love to see these little ones grow up and such.

But in such a large tank...with the possibility of us getting more large orandas in on the fish truck today (which actually didn't arrive so foo) we couldn't just keep the babies in that tank.

And I, conviently, at home, still had my iso tank set up.
So I was like "Well it's still up and running.....I'm going to take some of these babies home!!"

I probably scooped out a good 300 or so of the babies to take with me.

But I couldn't get every single one so there were probably still a good 200 if not more still left in the tank when I decided I'd grabbed enough of them. 

I had to do a little bit of shuffling though because in the iso tank I had a silver dollar that was being aggressive to my fish, so I had to fish him out and put him in a different tank but I had to fish out the fish from that tank to put into my larger tank so I could put the silver dollar in the smaller tank so I could then put the baby goldfish in the isolation tank I had.

Ah! 
I'm so excited!
Because like. Baby fish!
I want to see them grow up and get bigger and gain color and such. 

Though understandably I know not all of them will survive, babies aren't always the easiest to take care of.
But I'm looking forward to seeing how far I can get.

*fingers crossed* that I end up with some survivors!! :D 

Until you next see these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment