Monday, May 11, 2020

On the Ground

It's a well known problem at my work that people can't read and can't follow directions.

Like. It felt like my Saturday shift, most of my conversations with other people involved telling them to "Stand behind the blue line." or "stand outside of the blue box" followed by most people saying "Oh sorry, I didn't see that."

Which kinda boggles my mind really.
Like. 
I don't know...I tend to notice things around me?
Like random lines on the ground? I'd look down to check and make sure it wasn't 'anything' before crossing it and such.

But so many people. So. Many. People.
Are completely clueless.

Or I suppose, aren't as aware of their surroundings.
Because like...they see the cages. See the animals and BAM they're over the line and pressing their fingers against the glass trying to see the animals inside.

*exhales*

But it's good to know that this isn't an isolated problem.
That other stores also have this issue where people fail to follow directions. 

Like.
In my store I can kinda give them a pass for not following directions.
We just have blue tape on the ground, and at one point I wrote "Do not Cross. Stand behind Line" on the blue tape in black marker....
but like...the Blue tape does look a lot like it's just supposed to be there. A part of the floor.
So I can get why customers don't understand that they're not supposed to cross those lines.

But today I went into Walmart to grab some bread among other things as I was this week's guinea pig when it came to grabbing things for the roomies.

And since the last time I went in...my location has now implemented "One Way" aisles.

There are literally signs everywhere on the ground.
The most noticable ones are the "This is six feet. Stay this distance away." along with "Keep six feet away from others." that are stickered all over the floor.

But in the aisles themselves --at least at the beginning/end of each aisle are signs that either say "Enter Here" or "Do not Enter" Showing which way you can and can't go down the aisle.
Up one. Down another. Weaving back and forth.

And like the signs are bright red for "Do not Enter" (exactly like the street signs) and bright green for "Come this Way!"

....and people still can't follow directions.

Because apparently there are many many many individuals who never look down. 

 As I watched a ton of people go up and down the aisles the wrong ways.
They'd enter the exit and exit the enter and like....

Do you not see the stickers?
Do you not notice the large signs on every aisle?

Apparently not.

*shakes head*

I suppose it makes sense in a way.
If you've never needed to keep away from something (like touching the fish tanks) or only go down the aisle in one direction before....
It makes sense why you wouldn't realize right away that there are new rules you need to follow.
Because the rules weren't there before.

Like if I hadn't been distracted by all the "Six feet apart" stickers on the ground...I'm actually not sure how long it would have taken me to notice that the aisles of the store had switched to "one way" 

I'm pretty sure I nearly went down the out until I noticed the red sign on the floor.....

So yah.
I get why it's a thing for people to not pay attention to their surroundings.

At the same time.
It's still irritating. 

Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment