Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Under the Hood

I'd been putting it off like...all month.
Getting my car reregistered since it expires this month.
But like...I've been hesitant to go places.
And it just takes...a lot of energy to go 'some place new' 
Even though I have been to the mechanic before to get an oil change and my registration updated. 
And the place I went to is one I usually go to.

But I haven't been there since like...last year? Before the pandemic was a thing.
So it's a 'new' place to visit that I haven't been to 'recently' 

So yah.
Been putting off getting my car registered.
but at least I didn't want to the very last day of the month. ^^;;

In any case.
I left the house this morning to go to Jiffy Lube.
Since their service is usually quick and relatively painless.

I was halfway hoping that I could just get the sticker and drive on. That the process would be simpler during this time.

Nah.
It wasn't.
They were going to have me wait in the waiting room.
And since I was waiting anyways.
I figured I might as well get an oil change while I was at it because I knew I was overdue for one.
-Like I said...I haven't really wanted to go anywhere that I don't have to.

So since I was getting an oil change because I had to wait.
I made sure to tell the guy helping me that the dipstick (I called it an oil stick because I couldn't think of the word in the moment) was broken, and that I could show them where it was if they couldn't find it.

The mechanic reassured me that they could find it and it would be fine.

I was rather skeptical because like the last...three or four times??? I've gotten an oil change from them, they haven't been able to find the dipstick. 

Again, because the top is broken off. And the remaining piece is black...which tends to blend in with the rest of the engine if you don't know what to look for or look at it from the wrong angle. 

So I go sit down.
And watch as three guys end up looking underneath the hood of my car with flashlights in hand trying to find the tip of the dipstick.

The first guy I talked to came back in to ask if it would be on the left or the right side of the engine.

I told him that it was the left side of the center of the engine.
Though I don't know car parts that well....but basically it's the back center of the space underneath of the hood. 

The guy goes back to look under the hood where I tried to describe. 
Two minutes later, he comes back defeated and gestures for me to come show them where the tip was.

So I come out and  after a quick glance (since I don't look under the hood of my car that often) I pointed it out to them.

It's in a spot where if you look at it at the wrong angle you can't see it. 

Lol the collective "OH!!" from the three guys was rather satisfying to hear because yes, I do know what I'm talking about on occasion even if I can't remember the proper terms for them. 

At least this time they could check and see how full my oil was before doing the oil change. *shakes head*

But I do wonder how the guys at that particular JL are doing in general.

As they seemed to have more than one issue with my car.
In that I also wanted my wiper blades replaced because I noticed they were getting rather streaky when I used them yesterday to clean the dirt spots from the rain storm off my windshield. 

But when I mentioned I wanted them changed.
The guy admited that the dude testing the wipers....couldn't get the motor to work. 
O.o??
You couldn't? But I had used them yesterday. Like they work just fine. 

Which makes me wonder....has my car become old enough that it's like...obsolete? Like the guys just don't know how to work them anymore??
I mean my car is old enough that it still has manual locks and a tape player instead of a cd player (as cd players in cars were just coming in around the point my car was manufactured) So I could see there being issues if the mechanic is young enough and new enough to not have seen many older cars.

But I was under the impression that windshield wipers haven't changed much?
Like there's usually a lever and you move it up and down to make the wipers go. Pull it towards you to make the fluid spray. Twist the little dial to make the wipers move faster or slower....Like I dont' think the design has changed much??

But the mechanic looking at them couldn't make it work....
Like did you have the car on when you were trying???

Because when everything was said and done and paid for I went to my car. Turned it on. Tested the windshield wipers....and they worked. 

So the fact the guy couldn't get them to work was....concerning. *shakes head* 
I do wonder if they're doing alright there....

But yah. Got my registration and my new sticker!! :D 

Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment