Tuesday, April 17, 2012

The EarthQuake ShakeOut

So Today,
For reasons unknown to me.
My state had a state wide Earth Quake preparation thing.
I think it was for the schools only.
Though I heard that at least one hospital had an 'earthquake day'
Where volunteers could come and be treated for 'wounds' they 'got' from the 'earthquake'
But basically the idea was that at 10:15 this morning,
All the schools across the state would set off their fire alarms...or earthquake soundtrack I suppose.
-When I was in Elementary School we had a rumbling soundtrack that would play over the intercom that signaled we were in an earthquake.
Since my college doesn't have an intercom system. (Do any colleges have that?)
We had to tolerate a minute of ear blasting beeps/shrieks/whatever the noise the fire alarm makes.

I think this drill might have been done because the area I live in....is a bit overdue for an earthquake because we live next to a fault line.

So what happened?
I was in class at the the 10:15 marker. :) Yay! Because I didn't want to miss my first earthquake drill since like 4th grade. :P
Well in my CJ class (A class filled with mostly guys.)
Wasn't that excited for the drill.
And the guys were complaining that they couldn't fit under the desks.
Some of the girls were complaining too....
lol I wasn't. I knew I could fit underneath. ;) I'm petite enough. lol.
So the teacher compromised and said that we would only have to be on the floor for 10-15 seconds.
Booooo >.<
And that they wouldn't have to go under the desks, just be on the floor.
Booo.
And then the alarm sounded.
I got under the desk. Hehe :)
Yay for being small! lol :)

:( And then it was done, we got back up off the floor when the teacher said we could.
And endured another 30 seconds of fire alarm noises.
Before continuing class. :(
booo.
I had fun though, it was exciting. Thinking "I may be in an earthquake!" haha :P
But I was also thinking. "You know...I read a thingymababer email from my Great Grandma about how being  under a desk isn't safe during an earthquake because the desk could collapse...and that it's better to be next to an object taller then you..." something like that. I don't think anywhere is 'safe' during an earthquake. It's all up to chance on how the pieces above you fall and whether or not you get hurt from them.

Anyway. I liked that we had an earthquake drill. :D
Why?
Haha...In Elementary School the Principal referred to me as the EarthQuake Girl.
Why?
Because I was always going into Mrs. Park's office and asking her "When will we have our next EarthQuake drill?"
Yes. I loved having the drills.
The rumbling over the intercom.
The tense excited chatter from the students.
The fact that we didn't have to learn for a couple of minutes...
lol I enjoyed the Earthquake drills. They were more fun to me then having to march outside in who knows what weather and stand there waiting for the fire drill.
No Earthquake drills were cool! You could hide under your desk! :D
lol.
Sadly, I think after 3rd grade...maybe 4th grade. We didn't have them anymore. :( Maybe we had it once....idk. The Principal kept telling me we would have it soon....and then it never happened.
Anyway.

I liked the little walk back down memory lane today. :) Back to the days of Earthquake drills and camping out underneath our desks. :) lol.

Until you next see these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment